New Member from California

RyMoeller

Hello from Sunny California.

My name is Ryan and I am an amateur watchmaker/technician from Rancho Cordova, California.  I've been interested in watches and analogue gauges for about as long as I can remember. One of my earliest memories is of the watch given to me by my grandparents when I was only two years of age.  I can still remember the day it went missing- many tears were shed.  It would be 36 years before I secured a replacement!

IMG_0281.JPG

Through the years I've had a number of watches- most quartz and never of high enough value to really warrant contracting with a watchmaker for service or repair.  This past Christmas my wife gifted me with a vintage Breitling Navitimer.  I had one before but we decided to part with it to help pay for our wedding.  Ownership of a fine Swiss timepiece got me thinking about how to properly maintain the it and that's when I stumbled upon the Watch Repair Talk Forum and Mark's helpful videos.  I suppose from that point I was hooked.  I purchased George Daniels book and found myself riveted to every page.  The next thing I knew I had invested in the tools of the trade and the rest is history!

My hope is to parlay my experience as a hobbyist into a bonafide profession.  I'll need the proper certifications to do so but from what I have read, I won't be ready for any exams until I have a bit of experience under the belt.

I expect to be a regular on the forums here as this seems to be one of the best places I have found thus far for advice and guidance.  I know there are many other amateurs on the forums here that have the same goal as I and information is shared quite freely and uncritically.

So I would like to start my endeavor by thanking all the good people here for making the journey down this path everything but a lonely one!  I'm sure it is with your assistance that success will be achieved.  I am looking forward to sharing all my experiences (be them good and bad) here for support and guidance.

Cheers!

• Like 4

Not to be nosy but is that your cat?  If so, is it a Tux?  I have a 6 year old that we found in a dumpster when she was no more than a day or two old.  Her mother had passed so I decided to take her in. (glad I did too because the vet said she was near death)  Cute cats for sure but demanding to say the least;)