Cosmetic refurb of my Seiko 6139-6002 Pepsi.

This is a transcript of a post I made recently over on RLT....I have had to edit some bits, as they were relevant to that forum....if I've missed something please forgive me:biggrin:...this is my second post, so please be kind to the newb!B)

Way back in 1975, my lovely parents bought me a Seiko Pepsi for my 21st birthday. I had lusted over it for months, and it filled my every daily thought. Lo and behold, when the day arrived I was presented with the most fabulous watch ever. And this was even before it was made eternally famous by being worn by Commander William Pogue on the Skylab 4 mission, and thus being the first auto chrono into space (hence the nickname, ‘Pogue’), and not the Sinn as many still believe.

The original watch was worn to the limit…I was in my early twenties and nothing mattered except GIRLS and CARS. I couldn’t, and didn’t realise that this watch would become the icon it is today. I didn’t take care of it…it was worn as a beater is today. The crystal was almost opaque, the case was scratched and bashed it to within an inch of its life and the bracelet was held together with wire. I put it aside and bought another watch (a Citizen ‘Robot face’…as I recall…and that’s another story!) While the original was in storage, I had a couple of  house moves, and it went ‘AWOL ‘…..(nicked, I reckon…..)

To cut a long story short…(Really, Rog…?)
I bought a replacement as close to my 21st birthday year as possible from the Bay…..I wasn’t a member here then, you have to understand…but I soon learned what was wrong with my mine.

So the dial is a really bad aftermarket item…the lume application is appalling, and the sub dial shouldn’t have concentric circles…and the case is badly marked and scratched.

A new dial (and, hands up, it will be an aftermarket one, as originals in ‘as new ‘ condition just aren’t available) has been sourced…from the USA. Also a new Seiko branded bracelet, new gaskets for the pushers and I've just managed to secure a NOS set of hands.

But the case is something I can do….

Case re-finishing.

The case is in pretty poor condition. For those in the know, the 6139-6002/5 series has a case that has circular graining to the top surface and lugs, and highly polished sides. If yours has anything else, it’s wrong.

Polishing the sides to remove scratches is fairly easy as this can be achieved with a small rotary tool such as a Dremel and felt buffing wheels and suitable polishing compounds, such as ‘Dialux Grey….rough cut’ and ‘Dialux green…finishing’.

To reproduce the graining on the top surface was another challenge.

The graining on the case is circular. To reproduce this without complicated lapping machines is going to be difficult….or is it?

So I made a very simple jig…a square of MDF…with a spindle that would accommodate a die from my crystal press. The correct sized die was selected and fitted to the watch case with a small piece of foam double sided tape, then placed on the spindle. This allows me to turn the case in a perfectly circular motion. Luckily, the case has a raised lip (which normally holds the bezel) against which I can rest a diamond coated file. The diamond file (400 grit) is perfectly flat and will remove all scratches within a few turns without rounding the edges of the case. The file is held stationary and the case rotated slowly against it. I didn’t want to use high speed spinning tools that I thought might create more damage than I am trying to repair.

This done, I change to a 1200 grit wet and dry paper and hold it to the bottom of the diamond file and repeat the process to finish. Then into the ultrasonic cleaner to remove all traces of polishing compound and grit.

Very well pleased with this result, considering it cost pennies to achieve. All I have to do now is patiently await the arrival of the new dial and the re-assembly can begin.

The simple jig with spindle. This was made from a cut down kitchen cabinet connector, and fits the hole in the crystal press die perfectly without destroying the thread.
SAM_8442_zpsz7bhfzmy.jpg

The crystal press die on the spindle...
SAM_8444_zpsygbryxrl.jpg

The before pics...damage to case...
SAM_8448_zpsdisxekju.jpg
SAM_8447_zpsvv0c2tkz.jpg
SAM_8452_zpscbgmwpys.jpg
SAM_8449_zpsc9bkhnvy.jpg
SAM_8450_zpszwb0lhnx.jpg

The 400 grit diamond file...
SAM_8466_zpswvdcejgp.jpg

The case is rotated clockwise against the file, which is held stationary to create the circular graining pattern. A piece of 1200 grit wet 'n' dry was then held under the file to finish.
SAM_8469_zpsfeb776en.jpg
SAM_8470_zpsgeix2tkc.jpg

The after pics...very pleased with the result! Also showing the polished sides which were done with a Dremel, felt buffing wheels and grey and green polishing compounds.
SAM_8467_zpsce5zvfo2.jpg
SAM_8482_zpsano56zh6.jpg
SAM_8480_zpsc5kl5nsn.jpg
SAM_8479_zpsohh6hm9r.jpg
SAM_8484_zpss5aszx70.jpg

Finally, all the new parts have arrived and I'm ready to start the re-assembly. Just so you're aware, I haven't stripped and cleaned the movement...this was done professionally a couple of years ago.....and I'm not ready to start playing around with a rare old movement just yet. Some of you will know that I'm going to start practicing with some old movements kindly supplied by forum members.

So firstly, the new dial. This is an aftermarket dial, as originals in NOS conditiion are as rare as hen's teeth, and sourced from America. Compared to the old, rubbish aftermarket dial that had been fitted, this is much better. The colour is darker (perhaps the old one had faded) and the lume has been applied properly. In keeping with a 41 year old watch, the lume doesn't glow very brightly....it would look rather strange with Seiko's modern 'in yer face' Lumibrite compound.
The two dials together...old at the top. Note how pale the old one is. Also note the concentric rings on the sub...a real aftermarket giveaway.

20160410_095717_zps2umqmz0u.jpg

The difference in the application of the lume...Old V new...
20160410_095922_zpsn9lao5re.jpg
20160410_100119_zpssqdex4bw.jpg

Next, the new hour and minute hands. These were also sourced from America, but are a NOS item. I'm using the original red second hand and sub hand as there is nothing wrong with them...again, the lume in these has aged so is not very bright, but right for 40 year old hands.
20160410_102157_zpsrqiigtnl.jpg
Other new parts include new pusher and stem gaskets. 
20160410_110740_zps3wzlhf9r.jpg

So to start with, all pieces that had been removed...pushers, stem, retaining rings, springs etc went through the ultra sound M/C to clean them...the only bit I didn't put in was the yellow plastic inner rotating indicator ring, as I wasn't sure if the ultrasound would remove the printed numbers. I cleaned this manually with some Rodico.

Then it was back on with the new dial.
20160410_104011_zpsxmmdcgur.jpg

...Followed by the hands....I found a bit of Rodico was very useful to get them positioned correctly before pressing on with a hand setting tool.
20160410_115707_zpsbpd5nxoy.jpg

The front of the case was next...first the indicator ring with its tension spring...
20160410_120109_zpstoxfgthx.jpg

Followed by the gasket ring and the rubber gasket which was lightly greased with silicone.
20160410_120216_zps3gyssiko.jpg
20160410_120410_zpsde6we6lp.jpg

Finally, all the new parts have arrived and I'm ready to start the re-assembly. Just so you're aware, I haven't stripped and cleaned the movement...this was done professionally a couple of years ago.....and I'm not ready to start playing around with a rare old movement just yet. Some of you will know that I'm going to start practicing with some old movements kindly supplied by forum members.

So firstly, the new dial. This is an aftermarket dial, as originals in NOS conditiion are as rare as hen's teeth, and sourced from America. Compared to the old, rubbish aftermarket dial that had been fitted, this is much better. The colour is darker (perhaps the old one had faded) and the lume has been applied properly. In keeping with a 41 year old watch, the lume doesn't glow very brightly....it would look rather strange with Seiko's modern 'in yer face' Lumibrite compound.
The two dials together...old at the top. Note how pale the old one is. Also note the concentric rings on the sub...a real aftermarket giveaway.

Next, the new hour and minute hands. These were also sourced from America, but are a NOS item. I'm using the original red second hand and sub hand as there is nothing wrong with them...again, the lume in these has aged so is not very bright, but right for 40 year old hands.

So to start with, all pieces that had been removed...pushers, stem, retaining rings, springs etc went through the ultra sound M/C to clean them...the only bit I didn't put in was the yellow plastic inner rotating indicator ring, as I wasn't sure if the ultrasound would remove the printed numbers. I cleaned this manually with some Rodico.

...Followed by the hands....I found a bit of Rodico was very useful to get them positioned correctly before pressing on with a hand setting tool.

The front of the case was next...first the indicator ring with its tension spring...

Followed by the gasket ring and the rubber gasket which was lightly greased with silicone.

Next comes the crystal...
20160410_120908_zpswzgvwg4s.jpg

...followed by the bezel which is pressed on with a crystal press, and holds everything in place.
20160410_121041_zpsc1p3cteb.jpg

...followed by the bezel which is pressed on with a crystal press, and holds everything in place.

Now the movement is put back in the case, the pushers inserted and held in place by a retaining ring. Each one, and the stem had a tiny amount of silicone grease added to the rubber gaskets.During this process, one of the pushers sprung out of the case. I found the pusher straight away, but it took me nearly an hour on my hands and knees to find the spring. Finally, the back was screwed on after a smear of silicone was applied to its gasket.
20160410_125624_zpstas3h2kl.jpg

At this stage everything is working just as it should with the hands resetting properly. I like to leave this particular chrono running, as to leave it stopped, compresses the clutch mechanism and keeps that particular part under tension...rather like riding the clutch in a car. I also never activate the flyback if I have used the stopwatch until the hand is just past 12...to flip it back from, say, 6 puts undue stress on the hand tube and could cause it to come loose.
Next is the bracelet. This is a new Seiko branded item with the correct flared ends and the unique curved lug links....still in its protective plastic casing...
20160410_130003_zpsh1akdlk4.jpg

Now the movement is put back in the case, the pushers inserted and held in place by a retaining ring. Each one, and the stem had a tiny amount of silicone grease added to the rubber gaskets.During this process, one of the pushers sprung out of the case and it took me nearly an hour on my hands and knees to find it. Finally, the back was screwed on after more silicone applied to its gasket.
20160410_125624_zpstas3h2kl.jpg

At this stage everything is working just as it should with the hands resetting properly. I like to leave this particular chrono running, as to leave it stopped, compresses the clutch mechanism and keeps that particular part under tension...rather like riding the clutch in a car. I also never activate the flyback if I have used the stopwatch until the hand is just past 12...to flip it back from, say, 6 puts undue stress on the hand tube and could cause it to come loose.
Next is the bracelet. This is a new Seiko branded item with the correct flared ends and the unique curved lug links....still in its protective

plastic casing...
20160410_130003_zpsh1akdlk4.jpg

And finally the finished watch shots. As I said at the start, this watch is now a bit like 'Trigger's broom' with a lot of new (albeit cosmetic) parts. I don't know if I'll be allowed to post it in Mach's 'oldies' thread anymore! :laugh:

Anyhow, I like it better now, and I hope you do too. Thanks for looking!:thumbsup: 

PS...The white fleck at the 140 mark on the bezel was a speck of 'whatever'...and is not actually there.....also I failed to notice that I had knocked the crown and moved the pointer on the indicator ring slightly away from 12. If any of you are a bit OCD about this....sorry!
20160410_164918_zpsahktrdo6.jpg
20160410_165029_zps701eedzy.jpg
20160410_165131_zpstlkcntx4.jpg

• Like 5

I just recently said in a thread "I would go to great lengths and pains for my Seiko" and I'm once again reminded I'm not alone. 
Great post, and good job. You've got a nice Seiko there, for sure.

Edited by Ishima
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, RogertheDodger said:

Unfortunately, a lot of the pics have duplicated themselves during the transfer over from RLT.....I tried to edit the duplicates out but ran out of time....sorry

Perhaps one of the mods might be able to edit the duplicates out and dramatically shorten the piece? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...