Mini Project - Movement Holder :D

MrBeat

Well its been a while since i shared a post and i thought id share a mini project with you splendid folks as i know you all like looking at new and shiny things :)

Ive spent several months working away almost non stop on various repairs and services, so when i finally had a chance to clear my table i figured id get stuck into a small project idea i had.

When i set out with a specific idea/design in mind i usually write down every dimension and draw up diagrams and spec sheets etc, but i figured for this project id just play it by ear, or eye in this case.

I was working on a pocket watch movement when it occurred to me how boring ( although reasonably functional ) my movement holder was, and i thought to my self why not make my own.

With some metal stock lying under one of my cabinets i got to work and just lost myself in my machines...........

Top corner is my trusty albeit ragged holder, with parts machined by eye underneath..apologies for lack of focus

DSC03984_zpshoe99nj9.jpg

After a clean up and light polish ( lets not go too crazy it is a tool after all ) i got round to assembling the holder and setting the bar shims and threads with some Loctite >

DSC03986_zpsd2bqngmj.jpgDSC03987_zpsscc424r5.jpgDSC03988_zps9e1yxdnw.jpg

As you can see i didn't go too crazy with the finishing of every piece as it is going to be put to work but i think its an improvement over the standard el cheapo i use for large movements.

As i used thicker parts overall , the holder is much more rigid :thumbsu:

Im sure i will likely be making some more in the near future but im going to design them next time rather than play it by eye :)

I do like Bergeon Holders but nothing quite beats something you made for yourself . Next project is a new tweezer/forcep stand for my trusty Dumonts :D 

( For those interested in boring details > M4 Threaded centre stainless steel > 12mm Free Machining Brass Knurled knob & retainer screw > 6mm Brass shims > 4mm Brass sliders with M4 threads 3mm long >2 x Aluminum flat bars machined in mill and hand finished angle ZZZzzzZZzz :) )

• Like 6

Luckily its not overly heavy due to the aluminium parts saving the weight, but it feel substantial and solid which is strangely reassuring. The thicker slider bars add to rigidity and i have tested it with a old cylinder movement and fits just fine :)

I do plan to make a good few more but im going to go through design first process rather than just by eye. I have a few tool/horological ideas i have planned for this year >

Screw head Polishing Jig

Custom Watch casings/Pocket Watch casings

Horological tools such as screw driver set, hand fitting press, special movement holders ( circle type ), and other horological tools that i don't own and would rather manufacturer myself :D

I will of course share any new tool developments with you fine folk :)

• Like 1

Can one have too many tool holders ? I think not ha ha, so i been back at it again but this time in a satin finish :)

DSC04044_zps60nz9ws3.jpg

DSC04045_zpsb9wrdste.jpg

Proof is in the pudding, does it hold a pocket watch movement as intended.......yes of course it does .....

DSC04047_zpscslv05hk.jpg

Some improvements this time around, smoother action, better size thumb screw, and precision milled top and bottom ensures the holder stays flat on any bench :)

This morning i was greeted by post man with some new tooling which should add some improvement to future tools in the pipeline. Now i need to get to the drawing board and make up a smaller more precise version for wrist watch calibres, luckily i have some ideas in mind :thumbsu:

Why thank you, its nice to get positive feedback :)

The holders ive pictured so far are the base prototypes for the final versions i have in mind ( which are actually better ). Once i have finalized design for the variations ( wrist > pocket movements ) i will be making more, obviously i wont be using all of them so i dare say i could make some available for WRT members ( with Marks permission of course, been away a while so not sure on selling ). But bare in mind these are only prototypes, i like to make something and then i can see where improvements can be made and then implement them.

Current work commitments restrict my time for production of such things but this is likely to change in the coming month or so :)

18 minutes ago, MrBeat said:

jdm

A reverse holder is in the pipeline, watch this space for further updates as i will post here :)

Cool. Also I think, but can't prove, that if the holder cut is rounded rather than straight, it would grip better.

Whilst waiting for stock to arrive ive been busy with yet another experimental piece which is for holding my tweezers in a nice little row ready for action :) Though it is for my tweezers it can be used for other tools so i suppose technically it is multi-purpose :)

Again, aluminium, brass , and stainless steel have all been used. This time i decided as it was going to be on my bench i would make some effort to keep her looking nice. // Polished & Bevelled edge with hand brushed tops, brushed brass columns, stainless hex nuts, turned alu countersunk washers, as usual all hand made and finished ( well except the hex bolts ;) )

DSC04050_zps9hw1lgkr.jpg

DSC04052_zpsgqriqtfz.jpg

DSC04053_zpstxfgjsva.jpg

DSC04054_zpskxqnlqv0.jpg

My collection of home made tools is growing, and hopefully in the next few months i will have more time to get around to the more serious projects and ideas. Isn't it always a case of lots of ideas/things to do, and never enough time ! ha ha

DSC04056_zpsmqmxtiny.jpg

• Like 2

Excellent job Mr Beat! As for the tweezers stand, the only thing I would add is some sort of soft pad on the inside bottom so if ever a tip hits it, it won't get damaged...

As it is, I wish I had those skills and equipment!

Cheers,

Bob