Resources for the beginner

I'm a beginner when it comes to watches, but I'm just about ready to try to service my first watch. I've been gathering tools and just got a Little Giant C. E. Marshall cleaning machine. Can you all recommend resources for watch parts and supplies in the US? Specifically watch parts.

I was also wondering about jewel settings. Do you remove all jewel setting when cleaning a watch with setting? How do you keep them organized so they don't get mixed up while cleaning?

Maybe there are some threads that already have this info...if so, I missed them. Thanks for your help!

I don't think that Ofrei is the main material house in the US. Popular, sure it is. Other companies  can have more parts depending on the type, and very easily a better organized website and customer support. Example startimesupply.com and others.

Regarding the other question, for sure you don't remove jewels from plates when cleaning. You can organize in a sector tray but if you have to place all together for cleaning you better know what is what before you do.  

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

Hi Indiana,

Jewels can be cleaned but I do that, when pertinent, in a separate beaker with ronsonol...I even let them there for a while and agitate when I remember...which later is happening very seldom (memory? :) ). Mark illustrates this in a video...and some jewels I don't even bother since the ultrasonic or a dip in ronsonol for a while will do the trick. One important thing, always inspect and peg them before cleaning them and always inspect them before assembly. Cracked jewels should be replaced and dirty ones should be cleaned again.

As for otto frei, Will is kind of right considering it is ONE of the main suppliers in US and linked to both the Borel site -- also another main supplier (somehow, ofrei in California vs Borel in Kansas??), -- and the TimeZone "school". But again, there are other fairly big suppliers like esslinger, kas ker, and such. We have a list in the resources section.

I wouldn't discard cousinsUK considering they also have many things at better prices even with the shipping and exchange.

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 2

What I meant to say is that shock-proof jewels settings are of course removed and cleaned separately, although I make an exception for e.g. the very tiny Seiko ones. All the rest that is pressed in, is left in place.

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1