Finally got my lathe set up!

jnash

Great setup.

I have been using a Sincere Clocks chinese lathe now for about three years and have not regretted buying it for one minute (get it).

The only thing I stopped using was the motor - it's not variable speed. So I purchased a cheap sewing machine motor with foot pedal and that does the job well.

I have been meaning to use the motor with another lathe I own (lorch) but never gotten around to it. The only other thing I had to do is open the bore up a little as some collets were extremely tight fitting. I was very careful not to touch the cone part when doing this and the result is perfectly fitting collets, with no noticeable run out.

For the money - you cannot beat this lathe.

Very nice! I was tempted to buy one of those, but never did. Looks good and I would like to hear and see more about the Sincere lathe. Have you thought about sending some pictures to Tony at http://www.lathes.co.uk ? As it looks like the Sincere is not yet there.

On the drill press picture. Did you use the clamp on purpose like this? Supposed to be the other way round. 

Regards

Dirk

That's a nice looking lathe Johnathan, I particularly like the large easy to read dials.

I hope you didn't use the clamp in that configuration to hold the brass disk fir drilling as it's the wrong way round.  

Great setup.

I have been using a Sincere Clocks chinese lathe now for about three years and have not regretted buying it for one minute (get it).

The only thing I stopped using was the motor - it's not variable speed. So I purchased a cheap sewing machine motor with foot pedal and that does the job well.

I have been meaning to use the motor with another lathe I own (lorch) but never gotten around to it. The only other thing I had to do is open the bore up a little as some collets were extremely tight fitting. I was very careful not to touch the cone part when doing this and the result is perfectly fitting collets, with no noticeable run out.

In regards to the motor, I like this one bit you are right the speed is an issue, I was thinking some form of dimmer on the power cord might allow me to use this, I have limited knowledge when it comes to electric, maybe that will work?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

In regards to the motor, I like this one bit you are right the speed is an issue, I was thinking some form of dimmer on the power cord might allow me to use this, I have limited knowledge when it comes to electric, maybe that will work?

I tried it with a foredom foot pedal and it doesn't work. Only on. Or off. No variable speed. And it looks identical to mine.

If you manage it though please share your method. I would be very interested

• Like 1

Its up and running and looking good. You have it in a nice light room, you might find you might need better light when working on small pieces. I don't know if I would have wanted to work on that lathe back in the 70's and 80's with all those belts about when I had long hair.:D What do you want to be able to do on it.

Its up and running and looking good. You have it in a nice light room, you might find you might need better light when working on small pieces. I don't know if I would have wanted to work on that lathe back in the 70's and 80's with all those belts about when I had long hair.[emoji3] What do you want to be able to do on it.

Thanks , this is actually my office, this will be upstairs with my other watch stuff, just working out the best place for it. With a lack of garage (which is now half of my new kitchen ) I have to find somewhere to work without ruining the white walls with oil and mess etc..

How to start practising sharpening gravers !

10 hours ago, Mark said:

I tried it with a foredom foot pedal and it doesn't work. Only on. Or off. No variable speed. And it looks identical to mine.

If you manage it though please share your method. I would be very interested

Thats annoying, maybe my idea of some form of dimmer switch will not work then! - i havent seen a motor like this with arbours on both sides!.. 

This may be a waste of money then!

Definitely no accuracy certificate but others have done everything watchmaking needs with it. Also this lathe is cleaned up and sold as vector Lathes, vector Lathes are apparently used in watchmaking school... That's good enough for me :)

• Like 1

slight negotiation, and your have to ask them to be creative with the customs.. i sold my original lathe so i could purchase everything. i have other attachments and indexing plates aswell. 

I did a lot of research on my own and with the help of others and it worked out quite well.. i have no excuse to blame my tools this time!

• 3 years later...
On 4/10/2016 at 7:42 PM, Mark said:

Great setup.

Hey Mark, please share with us about how did you open the bore? 
I am a newbie I do not understand what run out means?
I am thinking of buying Sincere lathe and similar setup.
The procedure would help a lot.

7 hours ago, Sid said:

Hey Mark, please share with us about how did you open the bore? 
I am a newbie I do not understand what run out means?
I am thinking of buying Sincere lathe and similar setup.
The procedure would help a lot.

It means to bore slightly the part where the collet goes. It can be done on the lathe itself. I suggest that you get a lathe first and worry later about what, if anything, has to be adjusted.

BTW we have a section on the forum  where it's considered polite to introduce oneself before asking questions.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jdm said:

It means to bore slightly the part where the collet goes. It can be done on the lathe itself. I suggest that you get a lathe first and worry later about what, if anything, has to be adjusted.

BTW we have a section on the forum  where it's considered polite to introduce oneself before asking questions.

Thanks for advise jdm. I introduced myself :)

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Please share your experiences of using Sincere lathe & accessories.

I read some negetive reviews about them having a lot of grit and accuracy issues (These are more than 5+ years old posts though)

I would like to know your opinion and first hand experiences with these Sincere lathes so, I can go ahead with confidence and buy them.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,                                                          Sid

3 hours ago, Sid said:

I would like to know your opinion and first hand experiences with these Sincere lathes so, I can go ahead with confidence and buy them.

It is positive opinions anywhere you look. Here we have a(t least) David and our Host Mark having one. Other forum says the same.  I researched and posted a listing summary of all the variants, bundle options and accessories. However just like with any tools what can be done with it depends more from the person using it than the bare metal.

• Thanks 1

On 10/15/2019 at 12:23 PM, jdm said:

It is positive opinions anywhere you look.

Mark's experience of having to open up the bore the fit the collet is about the most negative testimony you could give, imo.   Mark's a positive guy so was very kind to them overall, but that is an fail.... I mean whats more important than bearing and collet fit?  They should be done properly to very fine tolerances to get a passing grade.

I've not owned that make but have owned a dozen other lathes and the collets always fit perfectly

Edited by measuretwice
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, measuretwice said:

Mark's experience of having to open up the bore the fit the collet is about the most negative testimony you could give, imo.

Good point, now to keep things in perspective let's look at the prices of some new horological collets.

20 pcs set Sincere, $262https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d-eiO04y72L-BtWxkXPAySAazyTfYFGE_6A73yMo2KI

20 pcs Cowell, you have to buy individually http://www.cowells.com/pricelist.htm
(1 x £179) + (2 x £169) + (2 x £105) + (15 x £92) =  £2,286 + 20% VAT =  £2.743 = $3,519

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, jdm said:

Good point, now to keep things in perspective let's look at the prices of some new horological collets.

20 pcs set Sincere, $262https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d-eiO04y72L-BtWxkXPAySAazyTfYFGE_6A73yMo2KI

20 pcs Cowell, you have to buy individually http://www.cowells.com/pricelist.htm
(1 x £179) + (2 x £169) + (2 x £105) + (15 x £92) =  £2,286 + 20% VAT =  £2.743 = $3,519

Hi JDM,
This is super consolidation work. Huge help.
Thanks very much.