Greetings from Germany

Hello Endeavor,

I indeed use an LED ring-light as you clearly saw on the screw of the crown wheel and actually all over the place (I wasn't even aware of that). There is no diffusor that came with the ring light just an amber cap. I actually was thinking of milling a diffusor myself from perspex (Plexiglas in German). I still have my CNC mill for my RC planes. It is indeed bothering. In this example you barely see it. But in other cases It's a pain.

I got mine from Amazon (Makro Ringblitz Ringleuchte für Canon EOS DSLR Kameras von Meike) for 50 EUR. This is a quite reasonable price for what you get.

Cheers Alexander

Edited by AlexanderB

Great photo from my perspective Alexander.  I only use my iPhone and iPad  for photos when I am dissembling a watch as they are quick and easy. I can almost see the grimace on the faces of the real photographers in the forum :D

I can actually take a pic through my microscope with the iPhone though it is a bit fiddly.  The main thing is that I need to see what I have done for the re assembly but I am not too worried about light and shade and stuff like that, just clarity on the area of importance.

My sight is not really that good and I need various spectacles these days but I was curious about Endeavours comment

31 minutes ago, Endeavor said:

Hello Alexander;

A few years ago I was also heavy if photography, trying to learn "strobist". I do have macro-rings, but no ring-light. Looking at your picture it seems that you are using a LED-ringlight. Which one are you using and would a diffuser not help you to get rid of the circular "dotted-outline".........unless you did it on purpose in PS?

I have stared at the photo for ages and I can not see a circular dotted line, I don't doubt that it is there however.  I even copied the photo into my 64 bit irfanview and blew up the magnification to no avail.  Anyway the sight for you Photographic chaps is so discerning.  I used to be a bit like that in the old days with circuit boards when a hairline of solder could knack the job but I need a loupe to see stuff like that these days.

Ladies watches are a trial for me.  My wifes treasured 21st birthday present, a gold 49 year old Talis watch is in need of service and repair and has been in front of my desk for 18 month now after she dug it out of her jewelery box.  21 Jewel Swiss Made. Lots of the face is now reduced to patina but the whole movement is only 11 mm wide so I just keep looking at it guiltily.  I will do it eventually - honest I will. (she is watching me:cool:)

Cheers,

Vic

Hello Alexander;

Micro-photography is, like any other facet, a topic on it's own. Like you mentioned with the aperture, depth of field, long exposure times, white-balance etc etc, is often unknown to the, with all respect, aim-&-press photographers. This valuable micro-photography information / associated problem solving may get lost in the thread "Greetings from Germany".

There is lots to discuss & to learn, as for what kind of equipment in needed (manual adjustable camera / lenses) and lots theory about "writing-with-light" and equipment. What-does-what and what-means-what....... Whole bookshelves full ;) 

If you have the time & the energy, you could always kick off a new thread...... I'm up to my eyeballs in learning plating techniques and trying to acquire interesting exercise material.

Vic,

Here is a part of the picture that might makes it easier to see the dotted line on the rim of the screw. Once you see that and go back to the original picture you see it everywhere on screws and other parts as well. Even on some of the jewels and very nice on the incabloc with a double-dotted-line. As I said I wasn't aware of the before Endeavor pointed that out. No issue for documenting the disassembly of a caliber but unusable if you want to make nice close-ups of a watch.

Regarding ladies watches. I gave my wife a very nice Milus watch with an ETA 2671. The watch case was totally worn of, tje case had a nice satin finish but it was scratched all over the place. Plus the movement ran 10 minutes every day. After I started this she gave the watch to me and I dared to disassemble it. Too much. I spoiled the hairspring as I slipped into it while trying to adjust it and then I completely disassembled the movement. I broke the very delicate click spring and so I bought a new movement for 100 EUR on ebay. But since the watch was a fancy one with the crown at 2 o'clock the date disk didn't fit. I am ever so proud that at least I was able to replace the date disk with the old one and it still works. When I tried to wind the watch the weight turned. Weird I thought. In a German forum (I wasn't aware of WRT at that time) I got a hint that the automatic gear (reversing wheels) needed cleaning. Since I had two identical automatic assemblies (both did not work properly BTW) I dared to disassemble these, cleaned them and ... now it worked again! Ever so proud.

I also changed the design and polished the case. You probably find from the picture that this wasn't done too well. But in nature it looks almost flawless. Now my wife loves this watch again.

Cheers Alexander

DottedLine.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_3221.JPG

Hi Vic;

Problem is, that if you go too far into a subject, like I did with photography, you start to see the ever so minor flaws. That in in itself spoiled photography for me. I was so critical about my own pictures that hardly any was good enough. That took the enjoyment out of a spontaneous picture........

Such a mistake I like to avoid with my newly acquired watch hobby ;)

But I will return to photography.......just have to adjust my standards......and Alexanders picture is good....It's just me...

Endeavor,

just to make sure: I didn't find any criticism in your post. No worries. And we are somewhat of the same kind. I am also infected by the disease called perfectionism B)

Regarding your earlier post (while I was still writing) I will start a threat on movement photography. It might be of some help for those who own a DSLR to sort things out. I for sure will learn something new as well. Post the link here and love to hear your comments Endeavor and Vic (and all the others of course).

Cheers Alexander

• Like 1

Yes, that's a big problem, if not a major problem: "perfectionism". It drives me nuts ! :pulling-hair-out:

Good you started a new thread about micro-photography. I'm sure it will be very educational. As said, just now I have too many other things.....so I may chip in later ;)

Edited by Endeavor

Hello Alexander and Endeavour,

Thanks for the explanations and I can see what you are talking about now.  I would say that for horology purposes reassembly info will not be spoiled by the reflections but admit that a pic of a fantastic watch is always better if the quality of the photograph is good quality.

Everyone is different and I would hazard a guess that your family and friends love you the way you are so the inherent "perfectionism" with photographic excellence is possibly an irrelevance in the wider scheme of things, however, it is regretful if self criticism prevents you from truly enjoying your achievements and successes which I suspect will be many.

I feel that you will both thoroughly enjoy yourselves on this forum and I for one know where to come if I need to sort out the photos I take with my iPhone :cool:

Cheers,

Vic

Well, I suppose I should chip in, NO, I should add my opinion, NOOO, Gosh! I can't find the right word...What am I going to do now? I can't write my perfect paragraph to say how much I'd love to have you guys start that thread about micro photography!

Oh, well, before I get discouraged and quit writing altogether, I'd like you to know I don't know diddly-squat (meaning "nothing" for those that don't know American Language) about photography either micro or macro or even its short version: photo! :)

So, go ahead guys, knock yourselves out and start that, so much needed, thread/discussion! I personally thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for both being perfectionists like me -- and to all the perfectionists present - and for the new thread that I'm sure will be awesome!

Cheers,

Bob

PS. Math: Take an Empty Set, do a Union with the Diddly-Squat Set and you get an Emptier Set...something like a black hole or whatever, so empty that emptiness would seem to be full in comparison...that's my knowledge about photography and by inference the meaning AND the power of the word "diddly-squat" :D

:woohoo-jumping-smiley-emoticon:

Hi Bob; you learned me a lot about watches, which I knew "diddly-squat" off. Just ease yourself slowly into the relation between shutter-time/ aperture and depth of field. By the time you know this relation inside out, from back to front and visa versa, photography becomes like the book "How to become a world renown photographer in three easy lessons" ;) Thereafter there are a few more "minor" caveats to concur.......... but I'm sure you'll get you there :D It's a bit like watch making.........

• Like 1