Are there any other Aviators here?

11 hours ago, Bimroy said:

Me, I've  been driving:  BAe 146, Dash 8, Boeing 737, Gulfstream GIV,  ATR72-600. 

No heavy stuff for me, purely hobby flying.  

I came back to it in late August last year after a fifteen and a half year break.  I still have my PPL, but decided to go the three axis microlight route this time, and passed my NPPL on the 5th November. Last week I purchased a half share in a Skyranger.  It's a bit different from the Jodel tail dragger I used to fly, but a bundle of fun and cheaper to run.  Here is a picture of the Skyranger with my old aircraft behind it.

image.jpeg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, bobm12 said:

Chevy Cavalier 2000! It flies! Actually 2 speeds, fast when going to work and faster when getting back home...and very low altitude!:D

LOL, figures...my '13 Cadillac XTS is sloooooow and has 6, yes, 6 speeds!  lol;) 

• Like 1

That's good! I actually had 1hr training on an Aquila where the instructor allowed me to taxi, take of bring the plane to landing configuration and I brought her down to 15ft. What an experience. Had an hour on a very rare Piper J-4 as well but just lazy eights and a stall (deliberately). I still have a PPL on my bucket list.

Been flying since 2001, finishing my PPL in 2002. I've got about 400 hours, and have remained current all that time except for one 6 month break after the flying club sold the planes I like to fly (Diamond Katana) and I was in a funk about going back to flying tin cans (Cessna 152 and 172). But, I got myself checked out in the 152 again (same plane I originally learned on), and have been flying that for about 1.5 years now.

And since this is a watch site:

flying-evo.jpg

flying-rain.jpg

flying-sekonda.jpg

flying-sturmanskie.jpg

flying-v33.jpg

flying-1963.jpg

flying-adventurer.jpg

flying-berkut.jpg

flying-black.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Geo said:

The Katana is a beautiful wee aircraft Stephan.  I see you do most of your flying between 5.00 and 7.00 ;)

Yeah, I was really sad to see them go. Flying a Katana vs. a Cessna is like driving a sports car vs. a 1970s family sedan. With that big bubble canopy, you really feel like you're part of the sky.

Good catch about my flying times. I tend to go after work, as I'm already 2/3 of the way to the airport then. In the winter, I need to leave work early to get my flight in before night, since I don't have a night rating (it's separate from your VFR rating here in Canada). Fortunately I have very flexible work hours.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had to give up flying because of medical reasons a few years back. I learned in a Cherokee 140 but I flew 150's and 172's; 172's are my favourite. I even had a small flying business for a while and we used a Grumman Tiger for a while; nice airplane but you had to sit on a wet seat if it was raining.

Grumman Tiger!  Wow I flew one back in 1980,  it seemed so powerful and fast. It was pretty radical for its time  with those  bonded wing skins.   I reckon it was an awesome aircraft and I agree with the wet seat issue. A small price in my  view. 

8 hours ago, Folkvisor said:

I had to give up flying because of medical reasons a few years back. I learned in a Cherokee 140 but I flew 150's and 172's; 172's are my favourite. I even had a small flying business for a while and we used a Grumman Tiger for a while; nice airplane but you had to sit on a wet seat if it was raining.

When I was learning to fly rental 152's I happened on a few wet seats also but not for the same reason as the Grumman, if you know what I mean.......LOL.

Timezone

• Like 1

That can happen. ;-) Maybe that's why the 152 they rigged for aerobatics didn't have seat covers; the auxiliary chute was the seat cushion and the main was your back cushion. Instead of the regular hinges there was a cable with a handle on the end on both doors so you could get them open in a hurry if need be. I enjoyed the few hours training I did in simple aerobatics; it really helped with 'unusual attitudes' when I did my night rating.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bimroy said:

Grumman Tiger!  Wow I flew one back in 1980,  it seemed so powerful and fast. It was pretty radical for its time  with those  bonded wing skins.   I reckon it was an awesome aircraft and I agree with the wet seat issue. A small price in my  view. 

My little flying school leased one for a while but many students didn't like the idea of it being 'glued together'...it never bothered me.

18 minutes ago, svorkoetter said:

The Katanas I used to fly were mostly "glued together" too. I guess more precisely, they were made out of glue (with some glass fibres thrown in). And the plane I'm building, being made of wood, is also mostly glued together.

My dentist retired so he'd have more time to build a plane - also a lot of laminate glued together.