What A Week!

My son's Peugeot failed its MOT a fortnight ago, so the quest has been on to find another one for a reasonable price. He's a mature student (studying wine production) at a local agricultural college; his partner is a trainee district nurse; and they have sons aged 4 and 6 at different schools, so a car is absolutely essential. Me and mine said we'd buy the car for him as their money will be tight for a few months yet.

So we've all been poring over Autotrader, eBay and other sites. Would it be a Ford Focus? A Volvo S40? A Ford C-Max? A Seat. Should it be from a trader, or a private seller, or from Tom down the road who buys and sells a bit? Decisions! Decisions! Diesel? Petrol? Maximim allowable mileage?

Anyway, after a ton of emails and phone calls, he and I went out yesterday to take a real look at real cars. After looking at an overpriced Seat from a local dealer, we drove in the opposite direction to look at a Saab 1.9 TDi being sold privately. The price seemed very low for what it was but - lo and behold - when we got to the address, the seller turned out to be an ex-colleague from work, retired like me! A good, all-round guy who just liked Saabs and is buying a new one. So, the deal was clinched after the usual inspection and test drive rituals, and my son got a very nice 2006 Saab - 88,000 on the clock (not a lot for a diesel) - with all the trimmings, for a tad over £2,000.

Hurray! Now I can go out with the ceilidh band this evening and have a good time at a 60th birthday gig in Hove. :jig:

Well done Will, my daughter used to have one and it was a really comfy car.

I managed to pick up another car myself last week, a 58 plate Vectra. It wouldn't have been my first choice, but like you it was a friend that was selling it. It looks and smells like new, has thirty one thousand on the clock full service history and road taxed for £2900..............well pleased! :-)

Here's my pride and joy - bought for £700 about 7 years ago, with only 66,000 on the clock. 27 years old and still going strong!

WOW! That's what I call real value for money.

You'll need it to transport the myriad of guitars that you own. :-)

Edited by Geo

Ahhh Volvo,  I used to have a 265,  20 or so years ago,  beautiful car, really comfy and could easily have survived being dropped off a cliff.  The reason it was cheap enough for me to buy was because it had done starship mileage and the engine was terminal and very thirsty,  much too thirsty for me to be able to run it.  I must look into Volvo prices as they are one of the most durable cars around.

Edited by autowind