Tips for polishing hands etc..

DJT2

Hi guys, I've just finished my Hamilton 36000 restoration. I'm really happy how it has turned out apart from the hands & the metal work on the dial. The surface looks pitted, I've tried to clean etc but to no avail. I'd love to get some ideas on the best way to polish or restore hands etc..

Before

39fda41d3771bd568484cacccf696d7f.jpg40b7eb676c7974acc33dad27eacde5e5.jpg

After

d7b59a41af304158d555b5ac1c0cf3e3.jpg

25a8bd7fca7aec6eec401659e5f4b828.jpg70b83b5c058feab3624f16416f2d8130.jpg

Dial hands & date window acd4eab4942050cb33f0c57e7859ec1b.jpgas you can see, they look pitted.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm interested in hearing what others do too.  I have had some bad luck trying to polish hands, turns out some hands are brass underneath the chrome, so instead of the expected solid stainless steel, things went south quickly.  As to your date window frame, I am guessing that is plastic, which has been chromed.

Ah yes, I never even considered the date window was plastic & I had a similar issue with polishing some hands to find they turned brass yellow. Had to replace them with a set of horotec jobs, which really detracted from the artdeco look of the watch.

The only thing to do is find new hands & replace. The cheap chrome effect will just peel off if attempting a polish.

Shame, thought as much. Other than Cousins, could you suggest a stockist that would sell a more varied selection of vintage style hands. Also, anywhere I could purchase dial date windows.

Found this some days ago? He polish the hands with some kind of plastic polish? Check under hand installing tool? http://www.thewatchmaker.com.cy/watch-repairs-video-tips.php

Wow great video, it amazed me how he could hold the hand whilst polishing with tweasers. I'd drop it for sure. But thanks it has really helped.

A couple of times I have used one of those tarnish removing cloths. They are nice and soft, although a little fluffy, and they have improved the look of dull hands etc.

Do you mean Cape Cod cloths?

I recently transplanted a dial and hands from an old case and movement (Vostok Komandirskie with 2414a hand-wind movement) to a new case and movement (Vostok Amphibia with 2416 auto movement). The hands looked similar to yours, and I was able to polish them using 5 micron lapping film (a bit finer than P2500 sandpaper), followed by 12000 grit MicroMesh (about 2 micron grit size). They ended up looking much better than before.

sivka5.jpg

Edited by svorkoetter
  • Like 2

I recently transplanted a dial and hands from an old case and movement (Vostok Komandirskie with 2414a hand-wind movement) to a new case and movement (Vostok Amphibia with 2416 auto movement). The hands looked similar to yours, and I was able to polish them using 5 micron lapping film (a bit finer than P2500 sandpaper), followed by 12000 grit MicroMesh (about 2 micron grit size). They ended up looking much better than before.

sivka5.jpg

Looks amazing. I've never used anything like lapping film, is it just the same usage as sandpaper?

Yes, it's basically extremely fine sandpaper, with a mylar instead of paper backing: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=33004

And this is the MicroMesh: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=62146

I bought a disc of the 12000x, and cut off small pieces to use on watch parts. I also have a full set of the foam-backed pads that I've used for a number of projects.

Edited by svorkoetter

Yes, it's basically extremely fine sandpaper, with a mylar instead of paper backing: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=33004

And this is the MicroMesh: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=62146

I bought a disc of the 12000x, and cut off small pieces to use on watch parts. I also have a full set of the foam-backed pads that I've used for a number of projects.

Brilliant, I'll order some now. Thanks

A while ago I bought some bergeon extra fine diamond polishing powder. I wasn't really sure what it was for & have never used it. Apparently I add it to a small amount of meths for extra fine polishing. Would this work?

To all:  Polywatch is a plastic polish BUT it is way overpriced for what it does.  Buy a tube of Simichrome and polish the plastic and/or crystal with that.  MUCH cheaper and it works on all metals as well.  Win win:D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeffc83 said:

To all:  Polywatch is a plastic polish BUT it is way overpriced for what it does.  Buy a tube of Simichrome and polish the plastic and/or crystal with that.  MUCH cheaper and it works on all metals as well.  Win win:D

Here in Sweden we use Häxan :) That witch in English :) 

images (7).jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeffc83 said:

I think the problem with Simichrome is it is bit to harsh & thats why the guy in the vid uses a plastic polish.

Not sure why it would be too harsh though...the crystals come out fantastic, like new!  I have used both products many times (still have that polystuff too) but kept using the Simichrome instead because I ended up with the same result for a cheaper cost.  This is why I like being here, I just learned that I can use Häxan, provided I obtain it from outside the US;)  I also might learn that my crystals will MELT from the simichrome after 30 days, LOL :D

Edited by jeffc83