Greetings everyone - just joined

Always loved mechanical watches and as a watch fanatic and DIY fan, have always wanted to take up their servicing and repair as a hobby but never had the time. Semi-retired now so I have got the time and have spent the last few weeks buying what I judge (rightly or wrongly) to be an appropriate set of watchmakers tools etc.

First project will be to strip down, clean, oil and rebuild an Omega Cal 561 (including fitting a new mainspring) - I am hoping I will get some sound advice from this forum in such endeavours- browsing through the posts on this forum I am sure I will :) 

2 hours ago, presto0906 said:

First project will be to strip down, clean, oil and rebuild an Omega Cal 561 (including fitting a new mainspring) - I am hoping I will get some sound advice from this forum in such endeavours- browsing through the posts on this forum I am sure I will :) 

Welcome to the forum Presto, remember to post up some if your exploits.

If I can give you some sound advice, don't make the 561 your first project.  Pick up a couple of cheaper victims on eBay and get used to working on them first to become familiar with handling theses little engines and tools. You don't want to end up doing this. :pulling-hair-out:

Hello presto and welcome,

You certainly picked on tasty movements to work on for your first efforts but perhaps you may not know that these little bits of history cost a bit to get spares for.  For instance if you have a problem with the balance and knack it or get into problems with the date change parts flying off into the black hole of watch parts never to be seen again.

Geo gave you good advice and you will get help here anyway, but like he says get an old working watch that has no date change or "chronograph" style parts ie bog standard for a tenner on the bay strip it down taking pics at every before and after stage, clean the parts in lighter fluid dry them off and put it back together using some cheap oil and mainspring grease.  You could work on your good stuff with Moebius oils etc. when you are proudly looking at your first serviced watch. 

My first one was a Chinese movement in a replica watch that was for my brother in law who stated that it did not matter if I "knacked it  - just chuck it" but amazingly he got it back fully functional and keeping good time (much to my amazement). That success got me addicted and this forum and its members have been instrumental in helping me whenever I was really stuck and I am sure you will get the same help.

Good luck,

Vic

• Like 1