14K Gold 1950's Elgin

Karimn51

Here is a watch given to me by a friend. Only needed to be cleaned and lubricated. post-68-0-28291100-1398381401_thumb.jpg. This watch is from the 1950's, 17 jewel automatic. Caliber elgin 645. The dial is cream colored but around the center some of the color is gone showing white. I am not going to mess with the dial. Probably better to have the original versus a dial that has been redone.

The dial is cream colored but around the center some of the color is gone showing white. I am not going to mess with the dial. Probably better to have the original versus a dial that has been redone.

I'm with you on this and welcome to the forum!

I love early Elgin watches. Yours looks to be from the days when they stopped using American movements and moved over gradually to Swiss movements. My guess is that the movement in yours is American. I wouldn't mess with the dial either - you can clean and polish away history that way!

Edited by WillFly

Both fine watches and it's nice to know they have gone to good homes.  Thousands of fine watches have ended up in the bin just so the gold case can be melted down,  almost a crime against humanity.  Would be punishable by flogging if I made the laws.

• Like 1