Balance No Swing

I'm in the process of reassembling a 6497-1 movement.  The balance, which seemed fine up to now, does not swing freely when placed back on the pallet fork which is brand new.  The gear train is finally working smoothly but no matter how many times I try placing the balance over the pallet bridge into the pivot it just sits there. Is there anything I can look for to see if the balance and hairspring are damaged?  The springyness of the hairspring does seem like there may be some kind of tangle but I can't tell.  The concentricity of the hairspring looks uniform but it seems somewhat more difficult to tuck it under the center wheel when putting it in. When I push the wheel it moves but does not swing freely by itself.

Thanks

Timezone

Did you do a partial wind of the mainspring?  Typically, once the train is under tension from the mainspring, you can manually "nudge" the pallet fork back and forth, and it should "snap" from one side to the other.  This will tell you that once the pivot(s) of the balance are placed, it should start oscillating.  You should also set the pallet fork towards the outside edge of the case, and make sure the pallet stone is far enough to that side so as to engage the fork once the pivot is in place.  If it is not moving at all, chances are the fork has fallen to the opposite side and you are placing the stone on the wrong side, essentially "locking" its movement. There are any number of videos showing people placing the balance which should help.  I learned from watching Mark's videos and have been a fan of the WRC for over a yewar.  It is something of a dance to tilt and slide the balance under the center wheel, making sure the hairspring does not catch on the teeth, and then rotating the bridge into place so as to catch the top pivot in the top jewel.  When everything is correctly aligned, it will usually start by itself.  Whatever you do don't force anything, take your time, patience, patience, patience.

Hope that helps.  BTW, I am a novice at this so I am sure others will provide much better guidance, tips and tricks to help you.  

• Like 1

Hi Petevig:

I haven't tried moving the fork around as you suggested but I will. I'll also checkout Mark's videos.  Thanks for coming back to me on this. Obviously I'm a novice also.  It took me several weeks before I realized I had a missing jewel for the escape wheel! I'll post my progress.

Thanks,

Timezone

2 hours ago, Timezone said:

Hi Petevig:

I haven't tried moving the fork around as you suggested but I will. I'll also checkout Mark's videos.  Thanks for coming back to me on this. Obviously I'm a novice also.  It took me several weeks before I realized I had a missing jewel for the escape wheel! I'll post my progress.

Thanks,

Timezone

Follow petevig,s post. It,s about elimination to find the fault. If the pallet does perform correctly remove the pallet & install the balance & see if it that moves freely if it does then the roller jewel is not engaging correctly with the horns off the pallet. It could be a mile out of beat check that the roller jewel is centred between the banking pins.

Hi Clockboy:

I will try eliminating the pallet. I do fear though the hairspring may be twisted somehow.  Is this fatal? My post about the gear train escape wheel (few weeks ago) was actually a missing jewel but that has been replaced. Now it's the balance! Thanks for the comeback.  I'll post the outcome.

Timezone

Clockboy & Petevig:   Unfortunately the fixes proposed had no effect on the problem.  Thank you for your suggestions.  I have a jeweler friend and I'm going to show the balance to him as a last resort.  I'll post the outcome if only to help someone else.

Thanks,

Timezone:pulling-hair-out:

So if you removed the pallet fork and set the balance in place, it still does not spin freely?  When the balance is placed over the top pivot, is there any end play?  I would be inclined to check the bottom balance pivot jewel for any possible obstruction(s), in the hole or on the face, and would also removed the top jewel and check for same.  May also want to inspect pivots to make sure they are not bent.  Good luck.  Hopefully your jeweler friend can help you get it sorted.

Pete

Hi Pete:

Believe it or not I think the stud is missing.  There's nothing there.   I didn't realize it until yesterday.  No stud is to be found so my jewler will have to look at it.  I think even if I had the stud I couldn't put it in without a special tool.  Maybe someone could correct me.  Sorry I didn't notice this when I first posted.

Timezone

Rich