Keitharoo

Getting the hands on correctly

Question

I'm new at this, and it seems that, more often than not, when I put the hands back on one of the pocket watches I'm working on, the hour hand ends up down against the dial putting drag on the train.  What methods do you all use for putting the hands back on a watch?  How do I space the hour hand appropriately slightly off the dial?

6 answers to this question

It's normally done carefully by feel and visually checking as you go.  

If you are having difficulty doing it this way, you could cut a thin piece of cardboard or shims of paper with a vee in them and place under the hand to prevent it being pressed on too far.  This is not something I have done myself, it is only a suggestion.

With practice you will eventually get the feel and touch required to press them on without any aids.

The direct answer to your question, is practice.

A more immediately useful answer is this, you can always raise the height of hands you've pressed on by using hand levers/lifts and stopping short of enough force to remove the hand from the canon. 

Edited by Ishima

This may not work for everyone but it's how I do it and it hasn't failed me yet.

I use my staking set to push each hand onto its pinion using a hollow flat punch with a bore that is slightly smaller than the pinion of the hand that I am fitting. That way the punch clears all of the other pinions but stops at the top of relevant pinion and cannot go any further.Hand Fitting.jpg I find that the hands install at the correct height to clear each other and the dial, and parallel to the dial.

So long as the faces of the punches are kept clean and polished they don't mark the hands, and for the last hand to be installed I have a punch with a blank brass tip which also helps to avoid any damage.

Great suggestions!  Wow, there's a lot of knowledge and talent on this site. I feel better knowing that it's a comes-with-practice thing and not just me being a dufus.  I'll try these suggestions and find something that works.  Thanks all.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By AdamC
      Hello,
      I have been asked to fix a problem with the stem of an Omega Geneve that wasn't engaging to set the hands and wind. Fair enough, I'm becoming a little more experienced now after six months of tinkering and soon identified that the winding pinion had popped out of its housing and fouling the calendar wheel teeth - presumably someone else had removed the stem before! Anyhow, fiddly but I fixed the problem, reassembled, and everything tested out okay (winds, hands set, and calendar quick set works).
      The problem now is that when I fit the second hand it keeps falling off, though while laid flat face up, the second hand moves around the dial normally. I've added a couple of photos, just in case you can spot anything. I must add that I ordered a set of used replacement hands, thinking that the second hand hole (if that's the term) had become worn and too large for the pinion. However, the replacement hand makes no difference. So am I now correct in looking towards pinion wear that's driving the second hand through the cannon pinion? Am I doing anything obviously wrong that you may be able to provide a tip for. I am using a proper Horotec hand fitting tool in an attempt to press the hand fully home, though afraid to exert much force in case I damage anything.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks,
      Adam

• By Jrx2
      will hands from caliber 1570 movement fit on the older 1560 movement?
    • By ArtfulMidget
      Hi,
      Can anyone point me in the right direction to where I can economically buy a Valjoux ETA 7751 movement, dial, hands, day/date and moon phase dials?
      I am based in the U.K. 
    • By Tracy
      I purchased some (90-150 Blue Dauphine) hands (P/N 86.9142) from Esslinger. I wanted to verify that I ordered the correct size. I am new to watch repair—but am an experienced machinist so I am ok with measuring using calipers.
      I measured the hour wheel on my Raketa (Movement 2614.H) at: 1.549mm (.061”) and the cannon pinion dia. at .965mm (.038”). I ordered the new hands size .90mm and 1.50mm (90-150) assuming that because the shafts are slightly larger their diameter would provide an interference fit for the smaller diameter hand holes.
      hour wheel shaft is 1.549 – 1.50 hand hole = .049mm interference fit.
       minute dia. is .965 – .90 = .065mm interference fit.
       Are my assumptions correct about the interference fit? Did I order the correct size? 
      When I try to fit the hands to the hour wheel/cannon pinion I cannot get them started. I have no trouble getting the old hands to fit??  I even tried to fit the new hands upside down (because of the flange created when the mfg. stamped out the hands/hole) and still could not get them started. Any advice would be helpful.
      Thanks, Tracy

• By Paul78
      Hi all,
      I'm looking for an old pocket watch minute hand with square hole fitting, square hole measurement is approx 1.65 to 1.70mm and the length i need is approx 19.0mm. Im happy to buy a pair if need be. Need ot be gold. Ive checked cousins and bought some off ebay, but they only seem to have 1.50mm fitting, and its too small to file.
      Can anyone help me out?