How to use a Vintage Mainspring Winder

• 2 years later...

Thanks, for the video! Very useful as I'm looking for a mainspring winder (or two)!

BTW, and I could be wrong, but it looks to me that the mainspring was mounted in the barrel in the wrong direction, no? As shown in the beginning of the video and @1:35 the spring is wound counter clockwise when I believe it should be wound clockwise. I noticed something looked funny @5:08 where the "end part" (don't know its name) which would press against the inside wall of the barrel would instead be pressing against the mainspring itself. I've serviced a few Vostok movements, and if this was a Vostok 24XX and if I recollect correctly, the mainspring should be would clockwise in the barrel.

I'm just mentioning this if someone is servicing a Vostok 24XX and is looking for info on how to mount the mainspring in the barrel.

Did you get it to work, or did you have to redo it in clockwise direction?

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, for the video! Very useful as I'm looking for a mainspring winder (or two)!
BTW, and I could be wrong, but it looks to me that the mainspring was mounted in the barrel in the wrong direction, no? As shown in the beginning of the video and @1:35 the spring is wound counter clockwise when I believe it should be wound clockwise. I noticed something looked funny @5:08 where the "end part" (don't know its name) which would press against the inside wall of the barrel would instead be pressing against the mainspring itself. I've serviced a few Vostok movements, and if this was a Vostok 24XX and if I recollect correctly, the mainspring should be would clockwise in the barrel.
I'm just mentioning this if someone is servicing a Vostok 24XX and is looking for info on how to mount the mainspring in the barrel.
Did you get it to work, or did you have to redo it in clockwise direction?

Late reply but it worked fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

On ‎2018‎-‎04‎-‎04 at 3:51 AM, jdrichard said:

Late reply but it worked fine

Just curious; was it a mainspring for a Poljot? In the video you only mention it was for "a Russian watch", no?

Just curious; was it a mainspring for a Poljot? In the video you only mention it was for "a Russian watch", no?

Actually dint know. I purchased 50 Russian watch movements years ago for practice.