New to watch repair, but loving it.

buzz12

Hi all, I am a complete novice to watch or clock repairing. After a lot of research and having recently inherited the contents of my late father’s clock/watch repair workshop, I find myself intrigued by what I now have at my disposal and inspired by the many beautiful clocks and watches I have also acquired, I have decided to have a go at what appears to be a most challenging but rewarding hobby (if I can get my head around it!).  Since there appears to be plenty of unfinished projects for me to have a go at I hope you don’t mind me posting some silly questions from time to time, as I start my exciting adventure!  

• Like 2

I'm glad to see you here, welcome!  I'd rather (attempt) to answer 1000's of questions versus talk to someone that is not interested at all.  First, have patience and if you have plenty of it on hand, get MORE;)  My first book was "Watch repair for beginners" by Harold C. Kelly.  I have also attached a few PDF's that will help you get started:)

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B58314D4749ACA41!27174&authkey=!AEjGWswUL_jMBEU&ithint=file%2cpdf

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B58314D4749ACA41!27169&authkey=!AGDuR4_Nv6jC2ms&ithint=file%2cpdf

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B58314D4749ACA41!27175&authkey=!AMsjpUZIfy4KQUk&ithint=file%2cpdf

• Like 3

Thank you for the welcome guys. Firstly, thank you for the informative Pdf's, looking forward to reading those in more depth. Secondly, you would not be inspired by my present makeshift workshop, Oldhippy.  At the moment I have the tools and the interest, but no formal workshop as yet, so pictures will follow when I get sorted.

10 hours ago, buzz12 said:

Hi all, I am a complete novice to watch or clock repairing. After a lot of research and having recently inherited the contents of my late father’s clock/watch repair workshop, I find myself intrigued by what I now have at my disposal and inspired by the many beautiful clocks and watches I have also acquired, I have decided to have a go at what appears to be a most challenging but rewarding hobby (if I can get my head around it!).  Since there appears to be plenty of unfinished projects for me to have a go at I hope you don’t mind me posting some silly questions from time to time, as I start my exciting adventure!  

Nice post~

the same to you, I also be strange to watch repairing

• Like 1

@buzz12 Pleasure!  Oh and please don't say that about your setup, lol.  I am still using a makeshift workshop myself due to my current living situation. (we are out of rooms to use for my hobby so I use the breakfast area AND formal dining room table to work, lol)  I would be embarrassed to take pics of my work areas because it is all spread out but to me, it is extremely organized and I have plenty of space;)  I'm still looking for a professional bench to put in one of the rooms but see they are in the 800-1000 range for a good one so I've been holding off for now.

Feel free to ask questions, I've learned a lot here and Mark's videos are a MUST WATCH, especially if you have popcorn in the house;)

• Like 1

Buzz.... You have landed on your feet coming to this forum.  It is populated by the nicest people you will ever meet on the net.  I know next to nothing about repairing watches but I've never been belittled for my lack of knowledge, I've ALWAYS been encouraged to try things out by members here PLUS one of the members here helped me solve a many decades-old mystery relating to one of my watches.  Ask for help here and if it's possible you'll get it.  Something quite rare in the net world of forums.

It must be very hard for you to walk into your dad's old workshop.  I know that when I go into my dad's old garage where he tinkered with various tools over the years there are still times when I get a little bit teary.  What made me feel less pain in this regard is something a good friend of mine told me.

"Just remember that your dad is really not gone.  He's here still in every cell of your body, in the very blood that courses through your veins and arteries."  

Armed with that concept all I feel now is enormous pride in what my dad was able to achieve and all the wonderful things he accumulated over the years.  I feel him by my side every time I step into that garage.

Edited by stroppy
  • Like 2

Good to hear I'm not the only one winging it with a makeshift setup! You are right Stroppy, it has not been easy. My biggest regret is that I never shared in his vast knowledge of clocks and watches but now I have decided to have a go, it some how makes it a little easier. When I get sorted, I will enjoy sharing with you all, some of the lovely clocks that he restored.

Hello Buzz and Welcome from me as well,

Might be worth having a check on the other recently joined members and the advice/tips already given to them.

My best advice is take a pic before and after you remove anything from a movement and pick out old less valuable bog standard working movements to strip clean and put back together first to get an understanding of the relationship between the many parts.

You will get help here anyway.

Cheers,

Vic

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome guys and the tips. I think the taking pictures could be the way to go!

Sadly, project 1 didn't go quite to plan. I got it all to bits and cleaned and I still had the right number of bits, but the re-assemble didn't go well. I thought I'd got everything in order - but NOPE! I remember putting the train cap (or is that bridge?) on three times because I'd missed something. On the fourth attempt... well... I just lost the will to live - I could not get it to settle - and then PING! Anyone have a good source for Pingless screws? Mark must have plenty - There must be such a thing - I've never seen any of his screws take off into orbit!

Plan of action: find more patience, take pictures, learn more about why things go where they do. I think the last point is the key!!

Anyway, gone reading... in the hope that project 2 will fair a little better!

• Like 1

I cant tell you how many things I have launched never to be seen again . But keep a calm head and dress your tweezers (probably the greatest piece of knowledge ever bestowed upon me by my granddad all those years ago apart from never put your finger in a hole its not supposed to go in or is too small to get back out ) and the modern phone ipad or any tablet is a wonderful thing for remembering where those little bits go.

Mick

Edited by Cad101
  • Like 2

@buzz12  I made the same mistake many of times and have lost countless parts...I usually step on them weeks later too, which is quite painful depending on the part!  Controlling flying parts takes practice and even then, they WILL fly into oblivion at times anyway. (some seem to control it better than others)  Glad you are sticking with it my friend!!!  If it makes you feel better, I failed over the weekend too....project was put aside for another time!

• Like 1