Tips On How To Replace Broken Stem

haratua

In the excitement of repair, I accidentally broke the stem off.

What are the tips on getting a replacement or fixing this?

This is of the SeaGull TY2867 movement, not one of the popular movements.

I checked website like Esslinger, the stem replacement goes by brand like ISA, Ronda, Seiko, etc.

Do I get whole new stem, or just get an extender?

If I getting a new stem, what to get (how can I tell which is the right one since this is not of a popular movement that I can order by caliber number)?

Also, will an extender works, and is it a better/worse option? What's the general guidelines, whether to replace the whole stem or get an extender?

Much appreciate your always helpful insights. Thanks

post-23-0-03840500-1382833510_thumb.jpg

If I was you I would just use a stem extension cut as short as possible. And use thread lock to make sure it is well secure. Well done for extracting the broken part from the crown - that can be tricky sometimes.

If I was you I would just use a stem extension cut as short as possible. And use thread lock to make sure it is well secure. Well done for extracting the broken part from the crown - that can be tricky sometimes.

I was quite lucky in removing the broken part because it didn't break cleanly. There was still a small tip for me to use a pair of fine-tip pliers to take it off.

Thanks for the advice. I will get a stem extender. I will post pictures once it's fixed. 

Btw, what's the best way to cut the stem extension, do you cut it with broaches and file it?

Following your advice, I decided to fix the broken stem with a stem extension.

After cutting the stem using an end cutter, I use a small oil stone to file down the stem.

It takes about three tries to file down the stem to make a perfect fit.

• Like 1