Elgin Pocket Watch Lift Angle

You will have to rotate the hairspring collar around the staff lightly. If you have not done any work like this before, I suggest you leave it as is.

If you feel you must, pick up an old movement to practice on first. Mark has some good videos on this kind of work.

is it called, 

How To Align The Hairspring to set the watch in beat. Watch repair techniques

When he removes the hairspring, does he use regular hand removers? or are they smaller?  Is their a way to set the hairspring back on with out a staking set?

The beat error is not the problem.

do you have clean the watch ?

does the regulator affect the timing ?

if not, check the hairspring at the regulator pins.

To put in beat you don't need to remove the hairspring. Just turn it a little on the right side, but what is the right side ?

Let down the mainspring, then stop the balance and put it in rest so that the roller jewel is in the middle of the lever fork. Release the balance, if it is in beat it should stay at rest, if not it will turn on a side. Turn the hairspring collet on the same side. (this will turn the roller on the opposite side). There is a special tool for that but you can use a small screwdriver.

I suggest you read the Chicago Master Watchmaking course.

• Like 2

To put in beat you don't need to remove the hairspring. Just turn it a little on the right side, but what is the right side ?

Let down the mainspring, then stop the balance and put it in rest so that the roller jewel is in the middle of the lever fork. Release the balance, if it is in beat it should stay at rest, if not it will turn on a side. Turn the hairspring collet on the same side. (this will turn the roller on the opposite side). There is a special tool for that but you can use a small screwdriver.

I suggest you read the Chicago Master Watchmaking course.

Not sure how you can place such a balance in beat without removing the hairsping.

You say turn the hairspring collet with a small screwdriver but how exactly?

Is that is explained in the Chicago course? Where?

Is that is explained in the Chicago course? Where?

The above, I don't know.

I do know you can rotate the hairspring around the staff using a screwdriver as long as it has a split collet.