Horotec Two Stage Crystal Press Problems

SSTEEL

Don't know if I am alone in this, but I have experienced issues with the Horotec two stage crystal press, the first time using it, the shaft that has a secondary finer thread snapped off, so contacted cousins, and they sent me a replacement shaft saying its the first they have experienced this.

Now the replacement has broken now too, several months later.  I'm not using the press incorrectly, its just that the secondary finer threaded shaft gets stuck, and I have to use a pair of pliers to undo it so it will retract, but the latest time, the darn thing snapped off just like the first.

I will be contacting Horotec directly regarding this, as surely this is a manufacturer problem with the quality of parts.

Just wondering if any of you guys have experienced the same?

This is the product..

11946768405_418e3c59e8_b.jpg

Screw Closing Press (Two Stage), Horotec - Cousins UK

And this is the end result..

25625778640_f751932751_k.jpghorotec two stage press broken by Micky Aldridge, on Flickr

I have an Indian copy of this press, without the finer feature. Unrelated to the problem exposed I would not recommend it because to its design it flexes easily. There are similar ones on which the pillars are lined up with the screw, which is much better.

Hi Alaskamick,

Micky is having issues with the bottom part of the press that should move contrary to the effect of the main shaft which in turn screws down to exert the pressure. The effect of both the main shaft and the bottom part with their opposite movement makes the press to appear to exert a steady, downward force without friction on the pressed item. The part that is breaking is binding, i.e. not turning when it should. It should be definitely a manufacturer's thing. I would try and alleviate the problem by putting some grease there but it should not happen.

This press can be used for both, case and/or crystal and comes with double duty dies. I have a Witschi equivalent which uses the same dies but I haven't had any issues with that one. The price was about the same (when I bought it) now it is almost double.

wit19000-08.jpg

Some other presses are sold as "dedicated" for crystals only (which I think is more like a marketing thing rather than their true application...a press is a press anyway!) an example would be the Bergeon 5500 which used to be listed as either crystal press only or back & crystal press depending on the site. Maybe the distinction is made in dependence of how "level" or precise they are when exerting pressure...then the cheapo ones can not be crystal presses I suppose.

Cheers,

Bob

PS. Sorry Micky, I don't have that press model so I can't really say anything of help in your case! I hope the issues are resolved to your satisfaction...without further expenses. Cheers!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got a reply from Horotec :)

Dear Sir,

I noted your problem with our MSA 07.150 (two-stages press). 

We know this problem and found a solution with a new two-stages shaft.

I will send you this part in a few days and I hope you will not have any problem with this Horotec tool.

Best regards

• Like 2

Got a reply from Horotec [emoji4]

Dear Sir,

I noted your problem with our MSA 07.150 (two-stages press).    We know this problem and found a solution with a new two-stages shaft.   I will send you this part in a few days and I hope you will not have any problem with this Horotec tool.   Best regards  

That's a great result Mickey. It's nice to know that Horotec cares for their customers.

Thanks for sharing.

On 3/19/2016 at 10:55 AM, jdm said:

I have an Indian copy of this press, without the finer feature. Unrelated to the problem exposed I would not recommend it because to its design it flexes easily. There are similar ones on which the pillars are lined up with the screw, which is much better.

Got one of these too. It flexes as supplied because the bore of the pillars is too much in excess of the bolt diameters. Just unscrew the thing, wrap a single layer of insulation tape around the un-threaded portion of the bolts - and reassemble. You will find its now rock-solid - sorted :)

3 minutes ago, presto0906 said:

Got one of these too. It flexes as supplied because the bore of the pillars is too much in excess of the bolt diameters. Just unscrew the thing, wrap a single layer of insulation tape around the un-threaded portion of the bolts - and reassemble. You will find its now rock-solid - sorted :)

Good that tape worked for you.. In my opinion it simply can't be used for glasses, and in fact isn't sold for that. I have since then got a real heavy one. 

8 minutes ago, jdm said:

Good that tape worked for you.. In my opinion it simply can't be used for glasses, and in fact isn't sold for that. I have since then got a real heavy one. 

Totally agree - I bought it solely to re-fit 'snap-on' case backs - and after the tape mod it does this perfectly OK. They are often advertised as also being a crystal press but in my view the item is not robust enough for that purpose.