Mainspring winders

Hi clockboy,

As I was saying I do mine by hand. I use surgical gloves and found that one size smaller helps (I use medium normally, changed to small and they are very tight and a pain to put on/off, but no glove gets in the way).

I think that a Seiko spring in the video (7S26 et al). :)

Edited by bobm12

Hi clockboy,

As I was saying I do mine by hand. I use surgical gloves and found that one size smaller helps (I use medium normally, changed to small and they are very tight and a pain to put on/off, but no glove gets in the way).

I've read elsewhere that it's not risk free by hand - ignoring the idea of a wound spring sitting close to one's face ;), there's also the possibility of kinking the spring or putting a twist on it so that it rubs against the barrel bottom or top instead of floating between the two. Probably most likely with folk like me who are a danger to anything we set our eyes on in watchmaking :P.

Hi Padraic,

I use a visor to work on watches so I don't know how would it be with other means, but I don't think I do this too close to my eyes so no danger there.

Actually I almost do this at arms lengh, so to speak, considering that it is more of a tactile activity than anything else. Also I don't roll the spring like in the video but "place" every turn as it should go, avoiding kinks and bends. On the Seiko above, there is a critical section where the double spring ends and the single side continues which tends to "bend" the spring. I use my tweezers -- gently -- to make that transition smoothly and facilitate a proper path for the spring.

In my mind, even though a winder is helpful and good ones save time and gives a "factory" finish so to speak (during the process, after the process all are the same weather if by hand or device if done properly), again, done properly gives you more of a feeling of your task....gets you closer to the actual machine I believe....

But that is what I believe and my way to do things. Again, just for a hobby's sake, not volume or proffessional deal.

A Bergeon half set sold on ebay today for £246, pricey but you get what you pay for as they say.

True. But, keeping with the cheaper options (incl. customs/VAT from US):

£71:

Schilling Bracelet Winders: Set of 7 in sizes 6mm to 10mm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-Schilling-Bracelet-Watch-Mainspring-winder-Set-Watch-Craft-Marshall-Style-/231356758602?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ddeffa4a

£102:

K&D 123X-3: Three adjustable winders covering 4-6mm, 5-8mm, and 8-11mm (from the cross-over, this might not be entirely accurate).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-Kendrick-Davis-Co-Set-of-3-No-123X-3-Adjustable-Mainspring-Winders-123-/331342897028?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d25935f84

£130:

Watch-Craft: Set of 8 in sizes 5mm to 10mm.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nice-Watch-Craft-Bracelet-Watch-Mainspring-winder-Set-Schilling-C-E-Marshall-/231356995010?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ddf395c2

Tempted to just get the cheap Schilling and give it a go. I can always sell them on if it doesn't work out to get back some of the cost. Probably less of a pain than adjusting the K&D ones, since adjustables do not appear to have ruled the market so far, presumably for a good reason. Very similar to the Watch-Craft winders but half the price.

I wind my mainsprings by hand routinely--in fact, I did one tonight for an old Waltham 17 Jewel movement someone gave me. I use nitrile surgical gloves and its no problem at all. I guess you could say I take my time and go very methodically keeping each 1/2 wind pinched on one side, then the other as I put it in. I wear flip down magnifiers that cover my eyes and have a LED light on top (yeah I'm a real nerd!) so I don't worry about my eyes. I bought the magnifier from Cousins UK and it is indispensable to me. I recently did finally win a nice vintage set of winders that I should be getting soon, so hopefully I won't be winding by hand anymore. I have gotten good enough that I can wind it in and close it up in about 5 minutes. 

Here's the set I got

post-328-0-25895800-1414043238.jpg

Edited by noirrac1j

True. But, keeping with the cheaper options (incl. customs/VAT from US):

£102:

K&D 123X-3: Three adjustable winders covering 4-6mm, 5-8mm, and 8-11mm (from the cross-over, this might not be entirely accurate).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-Kendrick-Davis-Co-Set-of-3-No-123X-3-Adjustable-Mainspring-Winders-123-/331342897028?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d25935f84

I have this set and find it brilliant with few problems, mind you I didn't pay that much. From the US, with customs, mine came in at £37.16...... :)

I've scrounged the Internet looking for cheap sets but I think it requires a bit of luck or a lot of persistence.

I went for the Schilling set myself. That Larry's Watch page has one of those - possibly even a nicer set for $99.

If anyone looking for a set finds them a lot cheaper, and assuming in good usable condition, just get them before someone else spots them.

I replaced a mainspring in a watch yesterday using my K&D winder. I put a tiny,tiny smudge of grease on the pin that grabs the spring and low & behold it slipped out a treat when replacing the spring. Hoping I have overcome this annoying fault.

Time will tell!!!!!

JC,

Let me know how these are working for you? I have my eye on a set like this.

Thanks!

Hey Gary,

yes I will let you know. They're scheduled to come on Monday--just in time to try them out on my latest project--an old Cordura  Sea-Gull with a 17 Jewel BFG 158 31/7 movement.

JC

Edited by noirrac1j

• 4 months later...

I use a K&D winder that I purchased from uncle Larry. However I found with the larger barrels that tend to be on the higher grade watches the winding shafts are way to fat. This causes issues when trying to release the spring from the shaft before loading the spring into the watch barrel. The best is without doubt Bergeon but they are not cheap. Ofrei supply individual barrels BUT they are not Bergeon but should work with the Bergeon kit. In my opinion the best way forward I think is to purchase the Bergeon half set approx. £400 & then try to add to it as & when.

​PS I have ordered today the half set 

Edited by clockboy