Mainspring winders

A new picture (sorry for the bad quality) to show this strange instrument.

Here you can see  that there is very little space between the hook and the barrel.
On the background there is a piece of mainspring 1,5 mm width.

It is not a mainspring or hairspring winder. Why the huge diameter of the arbor?

Has anybody an idee what you can wind/bent with is?

post-229-0-07671600-1440790352_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I have found one make of winder does not fit all. I have three styles the Bergeron half set (because of cost) that I have added to as needed a cheap winder set I purchased from the USA + a K&D winder that fits the larger sizes including pocket watch sizes. However one issue that does happen is the shafts can be too fat or thin. To thin is OK because the inside coil can be closed a touch but if the shaft is to tight it can be a real issue because releasing the wound spring can really go belly up.

So my first reaction was the same as everybody else mainspring winder. The handle is interesting in that as pointed out you can only wind a really tiny mainspring with it. So a clue is the name of the company Eterna found in early automatic wristwatches. So as a guess the purpose of this tool is for winding in the slipping spring or 'bridle' Which on the early automatic watches was a separate spring. On the modern watches it's attached and you don't need a tool like this anymore.

John

post-673-0-47370900-1443893467_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Spotted a boxed set of 10 Mainspring winders  on Ebay on Sunday night for a very reasonable price. Great news for me is that it turned up in the post on Tuesday morning which, considering the time of year, was exceptional as my expectation was that it wouldn't turn up until after Christmas maybe even the new year.

Spent a happy few hours last night cleaning the tarnish and slight surface rust from some of the winders and handle. To my untrained eye's, all looks pretty good with decent hooks on the arbour's.

Managed to wind a few springs  from my stash of scrap movements without  too much difficulty after watching Marks video on the subject again. Considering this was my first attempt, I was pretty happy with the results.

No manufactures name on the my winder's just stamped with Swiss. In design, the winders look very similar to the Bergeon  one's in Marks video.

There are a few gaps in the set though, I have 00,0,4,5,6,11,12,13,14,15. Not sure if this is  going to be sufficient for my needs  for now, or if I'll need to add a few more to make a more comprehensive set in the future.

With this in mind, if anyone has a set of Bergeon winders, I'd be very interested to know what the internal diameter of the handle is to see if it matches mine.

NAD

Thought that may be the case but was hoping otherwise. Will have to wait until I use them in earnest to find out if the winders I've got fit.

Handle is interchangeable between the winder bodies, is a good fit and not loose when in place. Can be removed once unlocked from the winder body easily enough.

Measures 12mm in diameter on the winder body where the handle fits which I'm hoping will be the same for the Bergeon ones that Cousins sell. That would make it easy to add to the set to make it more versatile.

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone I've been learning a lot from the Youtube and this Forum, right now i'm confident enough to open and service a Rolex 

and would like to ask about the Bergeon  Mainspring Winder set, in my country are available only the 2795 ETA-Set which contain 12 winder 

or the Bergeon 2729-T which comes in single No.3-No.7 ( not sure) I mainly work on Rolex ref. 6694,1601,1603,16014,5500, etc

(cal.1220,1530,1570,3035,3135) not sure the set I mention above will fit all this Cal. , If not I may have to order online for 2795 (set of 17)

thank you for any answer !

Paul,From Thailand

I can't answer that question and hope someone that has experience with them can. But in my mind they should be good just by  looking at their price tag which is very Bergeon...All that said, I, mostly, am happy with whatever Bergeon tool I've managed to get...You need to realize that winders may fall into that category of old, main stream and "evolved/improved with time" sort of tools so I have no reason to believe they would not satisfy you. I just think there may be cheaper options out there with comparable quality (or better). I've also heard that they work well in Rolex.

Just my two cents!

Cheers,

Bob

5 minutes ago, bobm12 said:

I can't answer that question and hope someone that has experience with them can. But in my mind they should be good just by  looking at their price tag which is very Bergeon...All that said, I, mostly, am happy with whatever Bergeon tool I've managed to get...You need to realize that winders may fall into that category of old, main stream and "evolved/improved with time" sort of tools so I have no reason to believe they would not satisfy you. I just think there may be cheaper options out there with comparable quality (or better). I've also heard that they work well in Rolex.

Just my two cents!

Cheers,

Bob

Thanks for the quick reply Bob, anything is good for me if is work ! , saving money is a good thing ! haha

but I really need this thing (even not Bergeon), it will safe me a lot of time and risk of damage the spring ( which I broke a lot when I try to put in with my finger )  

5 minutes ago, steven said:

If you are mainly working on Rolex watches, there are winders suitable for Rolex sold in material houses. I bought one for 3135 which is also suitable for some ETA movements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know from the seller that the 2795 ETA-Set > NO.7 are work for 3035/3135 also.