Mainspring winders

9 hours ago, Gasman said:

I bought this set and used for two eta calibres and they worked fine.

Quality is good though I had to degrease them as they came swimming in oil!

Hi Gasman, thanks for the reply. Just what I was hoping for.

Can you add to or correct any information in the list below? Ideally, would you be kind enough to list the actual spring diameters / heights which fit in each winder?

2000?

2671 = 6.5 dia.

2235 = Rolex according to Rogart63, but Ranfft doesn't list details. 

8200 = Miyota according to Redwood, but Ranfft doesn't give a mainspring dia. It's apparently a sealed barrel.

8500-1?

8500-2?

3135/2824=11.0

C07111?

7750=12.5

2892/2836=10.5 or 11.0

Do you see any reason why they would only work with the listed calibres?

What is the difference between the 3135/2824 winder and the 2892/2836 one?

Are these exclusively right-hand winders?

• Like 1

I am very interested in the diameters as well. 
The mainspring winder I have is an antique set which belongs in a museum in stead of being used. And does not function very well. 

I also found this set on Ebay. And I even saw it on Aliexpress for around €78 incl shipping.

https://a.aliexpress.com/lkEw5Nax1

But nowhere I can find which exact measurements the barrels have. 

• Thanks 1

To start with it is described as vintage (vintage today doesn't mean what it used to be) I have seen clocks made about 10 years ago called vintage. This is a set for E T A movements, it doesn't mean that you should only use them for there movements,but on there movements they will work better and be a better fit. 
For what its worth I couldn't get along with watch mainspring winders, so always wound them in by hand. 

Me too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think its pretty standard for most tools Horological tools to not come with instructions, even the expensive ones (Timing machines excluded) much to my annoyance.

I guess the idea is if your buying an expensive watch makers tool you should of already completed some formal training that has taught you how to use the tool.

Are the two brass tubes identical to each other, or do they have different inside diameters?

The part of the winder you hold in your hand that has the plunger in it doesn't fit nicely inside the tube does it?

Just wondering if its somehow to make it easier to hold being it is so short compared to the Bergeon one

This is how they fit: loosely over either end. Bottom ring can't fit this way in use as the diameter on the barrels are too wide. Having it over the plunger end would be counter productive as well as the plunger doesn't come out far enough through the top of the ring. Also there are two nice cutouts on the included platter for these to fit in. From what I can tell with my relatively limited watchmaking experience this kit functions perfectly fine without them. But there has to be a reason for them to nicely machine out and anodize 2 pieces of aluminum as well as their respective cutouts on the display platter. Very intriguing. 

20200120_205829.jpg

20200120_205842.jpg

20200120_205912.jpg

20200120_210232.jpg

20200120_210525.jpg

Edited by CaptCalvin

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 4:20 AM, watchweasol said:

Having had a look on the web It seems most mainspring winders come with these barrels but nothing much in the way of instructions, I will have to look harder. Never having used one, always used my fingers had no problems.

the thumbs have it !      vin

• Haha 1

cant help you im afraid but im also going to get one of these sets, ive been wondering when the chinese market was going to make mainspring winders and here we have a half decent set. I did put a best offer on a set on ebay but the seller refused my offer and counter offered a price £1 lower than the asking price..

I shall take my money to aliexpress where i can get one for £30 less than ebay