Mainspring winders

Hello Rexxus.
i too started on pocket watches and started winding by hand.  i understand most professionals, of which I am NOT one, consider it bad practice.  However, what works, works!
i stopped doing it by hand simply because it hurt my fingers to do so and I had been slapped in the face 137 times too often by particularly cheeky springs.  I bought the model in you picture years ago and love it.  There are two main drawbacks IMHO.  1. As nickelsilver suggests, the older ones tend to be work, particularly in the material that grips the spring in the center.  Thus it can slip quite often.  2. This model nay has one arbor size.  That means if you work on smaller movements with smaller springs, you may bend the center out of shape or even break it.  In the case of wrist watches and smaller sprinted movements, it won’t fit at all.

you can buy new winders one arbor at a time and build your set to your needs.  They are a bit more expensive per arbor than a set, but if you don’t need a complete set, you save money and get the right tool.  I must admit to coveting Marks Bergeon set in his videos even though I will NEVER need all those sizes.

best of luck and do reach out with pocket watch questions and suggestions.  I love to compare experiences.

Thank you for your message! In terms of pocket watches, what would you say is the most common mainspring size? Any rules of thumb you’re aware of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Rexxus said:

i too started on pocket watches and started winding by hand.  i understand most professionals, of which I am NOT one, consider it bad practice.  However, what works, works!

I could never get on with watch or P/watch winders. It is not bad practice. Just make sure you never take the spring out so it looks un-even, it should lay flat. Use finger cots to put the spring in. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rexxus said:

Thank you for your message! In terms of pocket watches, what would you say is the most common mainspring size? Any rules of thumb you’re aware of?

I'm afraid not.  The springs are by movement size and caliber.  You may find reference material to help you find interchangeable parts.  I do have a very significant stock of NOS pocket watch parts.  If you can tell me more I’d be happy to give you a spring or two to try.  I have thousands of NOS mainsprings for movements from American 18s to 21/0.  If that doesn’t make sense to you, post pics of what you have.  The face, the movement and the barrel with measurements of each.  Maybe we could narrow it down?

Do you have the old spring?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ITProDad said:

I'm afraid not.  The springs are by movement size and caliber.  You may find reference material to help you find interchangeable parts.  I do have a very significant stock of NOS pocket watch parts.  If you can tell me more I’d be happy to give you a spring or two to try.  I have thousands of NOS mainsprings for movements from American 18s to 21/0.  If that doesn’t make sense to you, post pics of what you have.  The face, the movement and the barrel with measurements of each.  Maybe we could narrow it down?

I think the OP is just trying to decide if buying a MS winder and what are the common sizes he may encounter working on American pocket watches. Not fixing a watch at hand.

• Like 2

Hiya,

Thank you for the offer!!! I don’t have a specific spring I’m working on now. I’ve been buying the supplies and equipment I need and have picked up a few pocket watches to take apart, clean, and put together. Some are missing parts. Once i start taking them apart I’ll definitely be posting pics and reaching out :)

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, praezis said:

If you intend to work on PWs only, you will surely need no winders for ladies WW. You could get a coarse idea of the needed winder sizes if you take half of the movement diameter minus 20%.

Frank

20% of the half? Or 20% of the whole movement measure?

ive never heard this guideline before.

Hello, 

I just bought these K&D 123 mainspring winders (set of 3). I'm currently practicing on Chinese skeleton movements.

I also just finished the Level 2 course. So I'm curious, is it possible to use this on the 6498? I was told by the buyer that he has not tried it on the 6498 as it's a pocket watch movement. But what would happen if I use the biggest (11mm) winder? Will it damage the mainspring, or will it just not load in the winder entirely?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

What you have there are three differing sized holders that you wind the spring into, the button on the back then presses the wound spring into the barrel, there should be an accompanying winder handle which can be vice mounted with an arbor attachment.

• 1 month later...
On 10/29/2016 at 3:25 PM, clockboy said:

I have a very similar winding set as this. These winders are great once you get used to using them. The issue to be aware of is unlike the Bergeon mainspring winder (which has a winding handle) it's a bit more tricky when winding & keeping the winding arbour flush with the rest of the unit. Also the same issue as the Bergeon the removing of the arbour after winding is the most critical part. Absolutely make sure it has released & withdraw the winding arbour slowly making sure the centre of the spring does not travel out with the arbour. If it does (which is common) Use a fine pair of tweezers to push the centre of the spring back as you go. I suggest you practice first with an old scrap spring/arbour. 

Hello, I'm considering getting this set, do you know what barrel sizes these will fit, in millimeters? Thank you.

• 1 month later...

I've been watching out for a decent set of mainspring winders for a while now, and just spotted these on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Metall-Vintage-Watch-Federwinde-Set-fur-ETA-Uhrwerk-C07-8500-1-8500-2-3135/184046407944

There are a number of sellers, mostly in Hong Kong but a couple are in the UK. This set is new to me and looks well made. The price seems reasonable, when compared to a used set costing upwards of 50 Euro. Has anyone bought a set? I don't recognise most of the calibre numbers, but the barrels look to be in a range of diameters. Are there any other variables? What is puzzling me for example is why there are two different winders for 2824 and 2892 when the spring dimensions are so similar?

To start with it is described as vintage (vintage today doesn't mean what it used to be) I have seen clocks made about 10 years ago called vintage. This is a set for E T A movements, it doesn't mean that you should only use them for there movements,but on there movements they will work better and be a better fit. 

For what its worth I couldn't get along with watch mainspring winders, so always wound them in by hand. 

• Like 2

@oldhippy do you recognise all those ETA movement i.d.s? What sizes are they, please?

2000?

2671 = 6.5 dia.

2235?

8200?

8500-1?

8500-2?

3135/2824=11.0

C07111?

7750=12.5

2892/2836=10.5 or 11.0

@vinn3I know how to do it, but especially with the small ones I'm concerned about deforming them. I can't do it with finger cots, they keep getting trapped in  the coils, so I end up contaminating the springs with scrapings from my fingernails. Best avoided.

Putting a new spring in is for me the most reliable and economical solution, given it's a hobby and I might service around 10 watches in a year. So I would continue to do that if saving money was the object. But if I wanted to splash out?

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Klassiker said:

@oldhippy do you recognise all those ETA movement i.d.s? What sizes are they, please?

2000?

2671 = 6.5 dia.

2235?

8200?

8500-1?

8500-2?

3135/2824=11.0

C07111?

7750=12.5

2892/2836=10.5 or 11.0

@vinn3I know how to do it, but especially with the small ones I'm concerned about deforming them. I can't do it with finger cots, they keep getting trapped in  the coils, so I end up contaminating the springs with scrapings from my fingernails. Best avoided.

Putting a new spring in is for me the most reliable and economical solution, given it's a hobby and I might service around 10 watches in a year. So I would continue to do that if saving money was the object. But if I wanted to splash out?

Think 2235 is a Rolex movement . Don't no why they aren't doing a set of winders. Instead of doing this. Looks okay though. 

• Like 1