Repeater Advice Wanted...

DJW

I've been interested in buying a repeater for a while, but l'm starting to get serious about it now. I know that I should avoid any watch that does not function properly, Thinking that I can get it running. But, even if I find a properly running example, what are the most important things I should be aware of? BTW, most likely will start out looking for a quarter repeater to keep costs down. Also, I'm willing to spend about $1k for a good runner.

Probably buying from a reputable and well known source would be near the top of the list,  even if it costs a bit more.  I do not know enough to be able to offer any advice on repeaters except it would be nice to own one.   :thumbsu:

Yeah, I've been trying to read up on how they work and what to look for when buying them, but there's not a lot of info regarding them. All I've read was avoid any repeater like the "Plague" if it does not work correctly!

I Also read to look for ones that are "Jeweled to the Hammers" - Usually a sign of a higher quality watch.

Does anyone own one? Or, have you serviced one at all?

I never wanted to work on them, and have no desire to do so. In my opinion - not profitable. But to do one up for your own enjoyment sounds cool.

I worked with a colleague a while back who worked on them and he used to spend quite a lot of time and sweat on them which further solidified my stance.

I wish you all the best with your repeater, like yo I enjoy a good challenge!

Just a thought, maybe there called repeaters 'cause you've yo work on them again and again and again?? :-)

• Like 1

I found this on the Bay,  it's very nice and it's 18k and it's jewelled to the hammers,  only problem is it's $5,500 not $500.  The one you bought looks like a bargain at the price you paid.

I hope so! But, I'm fully expecting to receive a "Basket Case" of a watch and just pass it on if it cannot be made right with a cleaning or something else simple... (really, I don't think anything is simple with regard to repeaters!)

I hope so! But, I'm fully expecting to receive a "Basket Case" of a watch and just pass it on if it cannot be made right with a cleaning or something else simple... (really, I don't think anything is simple with regard to repeaters!)

Exactly as I suspected...The watch was not as described :thumbsd:  ...

First, it was a quarter repeater and not a minute repeater as listed. secondly, the hour rack was missing a tooth which would make the repeater function useless. But, to the sellers credit, he offered a full refund and a refund for my return shipping. Very happy with that!

Sounds like you dodged a bullet there, great that you got all your money back.  I can find lots of nice minute repeaters on the net, what I cannot find is the money to buy them.  I see them for sale saying "freshly serviced", and I wonder.  Well for a start, how many people are around who could service a minute repeater?  Secondly, cost, it would cost at least £500, say $700 for a service and thats assuming you can find someone capable of doing it.  Keep searching, it`s out there somewhere.

• Like 1

Exactly as I suspected...The watch was not as described :thumbsd:  ...

That's a shame Don, it could have been worse. Like the rest of the crew I'm looking forward to you getting one and sharing the info with us.

I'll keep a look out for one and let you know!

• Like 1