Cleaning Balance Cock With Hair Spring

I am wondering if i should reattach the balance cock assembly onto the bare movement and put the whole shebang into the ultrasonic cleaner and run it using basic jewelry cleaner. I have no other method of cleaning this assembly, unless i dip the unit in lighter fluid. Any suggestions?

From Canada

Lighter fluid is good...I don't know about regular jewelry cleaner, it seems to me it is not watch friendly...depends I guess: I've never used it and probably never will considering lighter fluid is plentiful (worst case scenario).

Get a small jar about half full of lighter fluid and put the main plate complete with balance assembly into it. Now put plain water in your ultrasonic cleaner and place the jar with the parts in it into the water. The ultrasonic vibration penetrate the glass jar and will clean the parts in the lighter fluid. It's a good idea to have a basket in your cleaner to keep the jar off the bottom of the tank.

• Like 1

Will this affect the jewels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done many like this and caused them no harm. If anything, the jewels and pivots get a really good clean this way.

I've done many like this and caused them no harm. If anything, the jewels and pivots get a really good clean this way.

SOLD. I will do this this morning. Sounds like a solid plan. Lay it down balance up plate down; with no stress on the spring I assume. "Ye know too much"

I just use one-dip for the balance assembly and clean it separately from everything else to ensure the pivots get cleaned properly. (I will also "bounce" the spring in the solution as well to help get the crap off the hairspring)  Afterwards, I will blow dry it and put it aside for later.

Can I ask why practically all of you put the balance assembly back in so soon? Just curious...

Edited by jeffc83

I just put it in the jar with the balance assembly to the top and when finished cleaning, I puff it dry with my blower. It doesn't take too many puffs to dry it off.

Thanks, will do. Appreciate the technique advise .

Can I ask why practically all of you put the balance assembly back in so soon? Just curious...

I've tried a few different ways over the years for cleaning balance assemblies. Using the method I have been discussing above with JD is very safe as the assembly is well supported and less likely to inadvertent damage, it is also very thorough because of the ultrasonics.

Some people use this method, but remove the jewels first. I don't see the point in this as the pivots produce a sort of micro pistoning effect that ensures the jewels and pivots are clean. I am not saying I'm right, but it is my take on it and has certainly given great results with little effort.

There are many ways to skin a cat Jeff, and whatever works and you are happy with, run with it.

• Like 3

I've tried a few different ways over the years for cleaning balance assemblies. Using the method I have been discussing above with JD is very safe as the assembly is well supported and less likely to inadvertent damage, it is also very thorough because of the ultrasonics.

Some people use this method, but remove the jewels first. I don't see the point in this as the pivots produce a sort of pistoning effect that ensures the jewels and pivots are clean. I am not saying I'm right, but it is my take on it and has certainly given great results with little effort.

There are many ways to skin a cat Jeff, and whatever works and you are happy with, run with it.

Thanks for the info Geo.  I would rather "walk" with all options before running with my method....well, crawl I should say, LOL;)  I will try this on my next one, easier is better!
Edited by jeffc83

Get a small jar about half full of lighter fluid and put the main plate complete with balance assembly into it. Now put plain water in your ultrasonic cleaner and place the jar with the parts in it into the water. The ultrasonic vibration penetrate the glass jar and will clean the parts in the lighter fluid. It's a good idea to have a basket in your cleaner to keep the jar off the bottom of the tank.

I do that too, but will remove the jewels if there is visible grime.

Some people use this method, but remove the jewels first. I don't see the point in this as the pivots produce a sort of micro pistoning effect that ensures the jewels and pivots are clean. I am not saying I'm right, but it is my take on it and has certainly given great results with little effort.

I've done it as per your video in the past, but now I always screw the balance assembly to the main plate and clean the two together as an assembly.

I'm sorry if I didn't explain it a bit better, I've been suffering from a winter bug for the last week and I'm not firing on all cylinders and writing in the middle of the night when you can't sleep is not the best idea!

I've done it as per your video in the past, but now I always screw the balance assembly to the main plate and clean the two together as an assembly.

I'm sorry if I didn't explain it a bit better, I've been suffering from a winter bug for the last week and I'm not firing on all cylinders and writing in the middle of the night when you can't sleep is not the best idea!

No issue, worked well:)

• 2 years later...

What to do when the movement is cleaned by hand? My guess would be to put the balance cock with the balance wheel back to the main plate, remove end jewels, soak everything it for 10 minutes in cleaning solution and try to clean everything with the brush best I can. Another clean quick rinse in pure acetone and that should be it.

I think acetone should be avoided for the balance wheel. Some hairspring attachments can be dissolved by acetone. Same or pallet stones I believe. 

Lighter fluid, sometimes isopropyl alcohol. 

When not sure, always start with the least aggressive solvent (d.i. Water) and work up as needed. Alcohol generally is pretty safe. But it will obviously dissolve shellac if you happen to be working on something rather old.