Watch Crystal Polishing

Is it possible to get scratches out of a Seiko Hardlex Crystal. I tried with a drumel tool and various types of polish but was unsuccessful. Polishing the body of the watch works well, but the darn crystal scratches stay. You would think that making a scratch is less violent than 5000 rpm drumel with #2 polish.

From Canada

I think Hardlex clouds with the heat of the dremmel...too fast, too hot! By the time you "eliminate" the scratch the crystal will be unusable. A slower "way/machine" with gradually decreasing grids and, using a coolant, might work though.

It can be done as I did one for my 6139B for which new Seiko crystals are hard to come by a very expensive.  Just needs plenty of patience and work through the wet&dry papers, then diamond pastes to get the final polish.  Mine took about 4 hours in total so maybe not cost effective for a pro.  

I got about halfway through and decided that as it was a nice sunny day (1 one we had last year) I would continue on the patio.  You guessed it, just about to give it a final polish when I dropped it, and yes it broke into 3 pieces.  I nearly cried !!  

Just had to cough up for a new one but settled for a Sternkraus which was a perfect fit.

Edited by canthus
  • Like 1

I have polished one yesterday, no big dial. Speed can be 6 - 10K, doesn't matter much, paper quality do matter. I've found that most effective is 3M 600 grit, wet of course. Finish with 2000 and if you have it diamantine paste.

25563826375_5a6457681b_c.jpg

One or two darn specs of dust have dodged my attention and I'll remove them tomorrow.

I have polished one yesterday, no big dial. Speed can be 6 - 10K, doesn't matter much, paper quality do matter. I've found that most effective is 3M 600 grit, wet of course. Finish with 2000 and if you have it diamantine paste.

25563826375_5a6457681b_c.jpg

One or two darn specs of dust have dodged my attention and I'll remove them tomorrow.

Did you use a Drumel tool and some sort of bit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you use a Drumel tool and some sort of bit?

Rotation speeds implies a rotary tool of your liking and wet paper about 6cm diameter. People saying it can be done manually just love to see their life being ground slowly.

Edited by jdm

If you had kept going with the 2000 grit before the final polish you would have removed all the marks from the 240.

I did finish with the 2000 grit but did a final buff with Peek. I think a piece of leather would work as the final final buff

I did see some very fine scratches if I looked at a light through the Crystal. I'm pretty picky so I did do a rebuff with the drumel and some fine Green #7 polish. Looks pretty good now. Like new. Now I don't have to disassemble the Crystal assemble including Gaskets etc.

Awesome video dude!! Exactly what I was looking for in terms of polishing info!

Thank You

Hey thanks. The video I did is what I was looking for all along. I have a ton on YouTube music and some magic videos but now am adding Watch Repair instruction where I can and only if it works. Mark is the man when it comes to the watch repair game. I am one step below amateur. You can find me on Facebook as well under JDWatchboy. I put up the site to track progress on some watches I am fixing for friends and for part costs only. Just enjoying the hobby, but who knows?

• Like 2

Ok, revised advice. I took the Crystal once again as there were two small hairline scratches that were just bugging me, and tried to remove them using pumice. That made it worse. Then I used my drumel again and tried to buff out the new scratches; that didn't work. Then I got out the 1200 grit and worked a full sheet of rubbing followed by the 2000 grit and a half sheet of rubbing; THAT WORKED! So new technique should be Drumel with 240 grit drum for the first shooting and major scratches followed by a quick drumel buff with number 6 High Gloss, followed by 1200 grit, Two Sheets of hand rubbing and 2000 Grit 1 sheet of hand rubbing (sanding). DO NOT GO IN CIRCLES while rubbing; back and forth is best. Thanks.c57d3bc465bd728e67c60a8688664877.jpgc80a5f8af13ad56d65617b4a571299ad.jpg

• Like 1

i gotta tell you that is an excellent job. it looks like a new crystal. i just purchased a seiko diver that needs a lot of help with the crystal. i am actually gonna buy a new one, but i'd be interested in trying this method on this crystal. the diver i got has quite a few deep scratches that i think might not polish out.