Keitharoo

Elgin Pocket Watch Mystery Screw.

Question

I am new to watch repair, but have successfully repaired, cleaned and oiled several pocket watches.  This picture is from an Elgin pocket watch that I am currently working on.  The piece indicated by the arrow, obviously assists in toggling between winding and setting via the clutch pinion but, as you can see, there is no screw in the hub to hold it in place.  However, in the bridge, above the piece indicated, is a small screw in a threaded through-hole that is not retaining any other pieces and, at first glance, appeared to be doing nothing.  I assume it is there to somehow retain the piece shown, and possibly adjust the resistance/tension of that piece.  I've haven't seen one like this yet.  What exactly is the mystery screw supposed to be doing, and how do I adjust it to do so?     post-1801-0-20526400-1457103006_thumb.jp

4 answers to this question

Using a little tiny bit of oil to hold the piece in place worked great!  Thanks for the wonderful advice.  Also, I think I solved the mystery of the real purpose of that screw that appears to be doing nothing.  It seems to be there to hold that piece locked so that there is no tension on the tail piece in order to allow the stem to be inserted without spring pressure on it.  After I screwed the bridge into place, I rotated the wind/set mechanism to take tension off the stem, then snugged the mystery screw down just enough so that nothing moved.  After the stem was in, I backed the mystery screw off, the tail piece engaged, and the wind/set mechanism snapped itself into place.  Wow, a screw that seems to be doing nothing sure was confusing for a beginner.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By rduckwor
      Early 60's Elgin 10K Shockmaster. I suppose one of their attempts at water proofing a watch (see the crystal and gasket in the second picture). The question is how to get the crown off (Its wobbly when pulled out to the set position and I am certain it contains a gasket) so I can remove the movement? Dis-assemble the keyless works in place so I can grab the stem and unscrew the crown?? Thanks.

• By rduckwor
      Elgin 712/713 shock spring.  Does anyone know the name of this particular type of shock spring?  Thanks,

RMD

• By rduckwor
      Ideas on where to find a suitable assortment of studs?  Cousins has round and square, but Elgin uses a wedge shaped stud.  File my own?

Thanks,

RMD
    • By trevsdad
      I'd like to try my hand at converting a vintage pocket into a wristwatch.
      For anyone who knows, what size pocket watch should I aim for and what's the best source for an appropriate sized case? Is a 'Hunter' best for this? What's the best solution for a winding stem and if I have to go with a case that's not drilled for the stem, what's the best solution?
      In other words, what best practice for this mod?? Any help would be appreciated.
      thanks
    • By Dave84
      Hi Everyone 
      I hope you are all well. 
      It has been 12 months or so since I last logged in, and shamefully about the same since I pulled out my box of old watches. I was browsing the 'Bay' as always and really liked the look of this Waltham Traveler. I picked it up for less than £10 and would like to use it as my first restoration project. I have undertaken minor repairs in the past but nothing like this, I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew. 
      I need to find a key to see if it winds & runs, repair/service it and source the hands and a case, which is uncharted territory for me and I'm not sure how easily they are sized / sourced.
      Any help, advice or pointers that you guys may be useful to me will be greatly received
      Many thanks in advance 
      Dave