Seiko 6139A Disassembly Videos

Excellent job! Waiting for the final result!

Cheers,

Bob

Thanks Bob. The hard part is videotaping. I did not fly one part. Next step will be the piece by piece hand cleaning. I also need to see if I can buff or replace the crystal. The body I can deal with.

From Canada

I used to have my nails long on the right hand for Classical Guitar playing but I took to watchmaking afterwards so I don't have the "experience" doing both...I imagine how that must be! Before they were always getting in the way of things and sometimes I had to resort to ping-pong balls to fix them and be able to go in concert! :)  (Not that good a sound!)

Who was eating your cuticles at the movie, you or your wife? :D

Back to watches, don't worry, take your time. You really don't want to ping those parts to the next galaxy specially after cleaning them...not that it makes it more or less difficult to find them though...but the trouble IF you find them!

Cheers,

Bob

• 2 months later...

So the watch seems to be running fast. It had an amplitude of 285 and a beat error of less than 1, so it may just need regulating. As well, I did NOT take out the main balance jewel and clean it. Not sure if this is an issue. I can do this operation later without removing the movement, although I have little experience in doing this and need to practice a few times on my Russian practice movements. The total time of the video recording that I did while assembling and oiling the watch is 1 h 40 min. I may put it up on YouTube to document the adventure, However, i know that my wife will not watch it:)

If you are interested in seeing this saga, please let me know!

From Canada

Good job JD,

I'd love to see the video when it's ready! and yes, the jewel you are talking about, it may make a difference once you clean and oil it.

Cheers,

Bob

Thanks Bob, would be my first time removing one, but I am a careful guy and have read all about oiling it. The watch is running fast so that needs to be addressed, either regulating it or other means.

Also check for a hairspring "something" that may be shorting it. i.e. oil, kink or even dirt that might have crawl in (a spec of dust is all you need)! ...and don't forget magnetism!

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1

• 2 months later...