Seiko 7009A-3041

Alienfox

I am in the process of cleaning a Seiko 7009A, and I need to replace the crystal, I have a couple of questions.

Is this an acrylic or saphire crystal?

Is it a pop out crystal, I have a press.

And what thickness should it be, according to my Digital \Vernier it's 29.8? I can only find 29.5 and 30mm as replacement sizes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Den

You need to check the size very carefully  as you say " with a vernier" but how have you got the figure you quoted without fetching it out. That has to be the first thing you do before you start ordering the new one.

There is a very good video done by Mark which shows you how to do it.

Not sure about your watch. Is it flat. If so you take the movement out and use a hammer and a suitable drift to push it out from inside then fit the new one from the outside using a press.

If you look at the videos using the link at the top of the page there are videos showing how to fit flat and domed crystals. Just go through them to find the type you have. 

With  Seiko's  on the back of the case there are a series of numbers. Its the two hyphenated numbers that you need in order to get the correct glass. You will need your glass press to fit it. If you could upload a photo of the back that would help.

Hi Guys, thanks to everyone for there help, I followed Marks video, but when I tapped the glass to remove it it broke into about 100 pieces, anyway it's out now and a replacement ordered from Cousins, thanks Blacklab for the the codes.

Just checked that watch again, the glass gasket has come out, it has a flat side and a round side, am I right in thinking that the round side fits inside the case and the flat side is where the crystal fits?

Just checked that watch again, the glass gasket has come out, it has a flat side and a round side, am I right in thinking that the round side fits inside the case and the flat side is where the crystal fits?

Since you can't really turn a glass gasket inside out, the gasket goes the way it "wants to stay"

Thanks JDM, the glass has just arrived but it looks a little too big? I know its the right glass for the case. Do they always look too big when held up to the case?

Sorry if I am asking stupid questions but I am still very new to this.

Den

Hi Den,

My take on it, if the crystal is too big, the back of the watch where the serial number is on, may be the wrong one, therefore the wrong crystal due to erroneous premise to locate the part. Seiko's backs are interchangeable through many models even though the cases for those models are different.

Also, the gaskets will fit in their grove properly (as they come, given the right size) and the crystal should go in with the press. It is not supposed to go in too easy but never forcing it so the seal is very positive (I don't have a proper word for the "feeling" of it). Choose a die that will have about the same diameter as the crystal to push it home. Not too big otherwise it won't work and not too small or you will risk breaking it. The idea is to push by the "edge". Make sure the watch is well supported underneath and everything is level and even.

Now, don't be sorry since there are no stupid questions but the ones that were never asked! :)  ...and it is not a problem, that's why we are all together in this: to help one another out.

I usually order aftermarket crystals by measure and make up with the gasket for any difference whenever possible (since it is cheaper or better quality if fitting sapphire). That will NOT always work well and you will end up ordering the Seiko part when available...which is a type of mineral glass called Hardlex by them: i.e. it will scratch more than sapphire and about the same as mineral...sometimes I wonder if more that the later or maybe the owner....but I digress!  :)

When ordering generic, sometimes one size smaller and one size larger will give you the solution and a choice in case you run into problems with the measured size. In any case, mineral crystal is relatively inexpensive (but more expensive than plastic). If I were to choose (price wise) between plastic and mineral it would be mineral hands down...only sometimes the substitution is not possible for a number of reasons, objective and subjective ones and...NO, I won't start with this dilemma I promise!

I hope this helps,

Cheers,

Bob

PS. Change the crystal gasket if at all possible every time. Also, if the gasket has lost its "elasticity" don't reuse it since the watch will not be waterproof as per specs.

Just tried to fit the new glass, it just exploded into a thousand pieces. Need to make sure that it's the right glass next time.

I think I had read that some replacement glasses actually need some grinding to fit properly. Just measure to be sure.

Never come across that at all. Unless the wrong size crystal or gasket has been purchased.

I think it had been mentioned about the German glasses, not being exact replacements as promised.

Thanks to everyone who has added to the post.

I just realised that the crystal that was sent was the wrong size it was too big, new one on the way, I have also ordered a new gasket just to be sure that everything goes OK this time.

Remember the gasket should either be the same dimensions of the old one or (and if the old one is to compressed, not useable), the total diameter of crystal and gasket should be the same as the original parts, i.e. the gasket should fit in the grove the same way and protrude the same amount (measure the height, diameter and thickness) and same applies to crystal. There is a small tolerance of overlap between the crystal and gasket that when both are fitted seal the case. If I'm not mistaken, this is about 0.02/0.01 mm...or maybe without the zero? Maybe someone may confirm this figure. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well the Crystal saga continues, I have now managed to destroy 3 crystals to date, I know that the size is correct thats to BlackLab, so I am now wondering if I have the correct seal, driving me insane at the moment as I now have 2 watches that need new crystals and I am really concerned about breaking the new glasses.

Well the Crystal saga continues, I have now managed to destroy 3 crystals to date, I know that the size is correct thats to BlackLab, so I am now wondering if I have the correct seal, driving me insane at the moment as I now have 2 watches that need new crystals and I am really concerned about breaking the new glasses.

Don't be put down, it can happen. I broke two glasses few days ago with a good press and they were the same size as the original. But they did not laid perfectly straight flat as I wanted and insisting on them of course broke them. In my case I've order another one 1 tenth smaller, maybe you can try that too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, This saga continues, having spent more on broken crystals than I paid for the watch I think it's time to show you the watch and parts and try to find a solution. Bob, I am using the hollow dies.

The watch it self I have serviced and oiled, tested and regulated and that seems fine.

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

So as you can see from the images I am now at the stage where I know that if I try and insert the crystal it will just crack again, I also purchased replacement glass gaskets but they are completely different and don't fit?

Edited by Alienfox
Missing text

Hi alienfox,

I'm a little confused with your measurements.

watch.jpg

I marked the total diameter that includes the gasket thickness + the crystal diameter together on the case. I believe the crystal is the wrong one (the one in the envelope = 31 mm). So, if the gasket available is not the same thickness but its diameter is equal to the total diameter - as the one I marked in the picture -- you should subtract the new gasket thickness from that total measurement to obtain the new crystal diameter. I always order, from the supplier, the next measurement and the previous measurement available in addition to the one I supposedly need.

Off the top of my mind, the crystal you are looking for (if you keep the old gasket) shouldn't even be 30 mm...more like 28 or 29 mm. The thickness should be close to 2 mm if I'm not mistaken...The divers usually take 2 mm thick. That is, you should expect the crystal not to be completely flush with the case but depending on models, it will protrude from an unnoticed bit to quite a bit. I believe your model is of the former type: a tiny, almost unnoticeable bit. This is not written on stone, since some models (not many in this brand) have crystal just under the bezel...the bezel acts as a protector...somehow, I believe it is not your situation. Either way, it won't affect the watch, only the looks...but you should have (based on your measurements, you call it "case recess") a 2 mm thick crystal which is the depth of the groove where it fits. The gasket, specially those aftermarket, should be a little under that thickness allowing for deformation (about 1.5 mm?).

Sometimes suppliers have a combination crystal + gasket that makes up for the total diameter that you need but, in my mind, is the wrong gasket for this model, i.e. that combination is with the L gasket and you should be looking for an I (i) gasket.

I hope this helps,

Cheers,

Bob

PS. With the replacement crystal that you have, since it is too big, if you are using the correct dies (to push it on the edges) you should be either destroying the crystal (literally) or the press with excessive pressure. 

Hi alienfox,

I'm a little confused with your measurements.

watch.jpg

I marked the total diameter that includes the gasket thickness + the crystal diameter together on the case. I believe the crystal is the wrong one (the one in the envelope = 31 mm). So, if the gasket available is not the same thickness but its diameter is equal to the total diameter - as the one I marked in the picture -- you should subtract the new gasket thickness from that total measurement to obtain the new crystal diameter. I always order, from the supplier, the next measurement and the previous measurement available in addition to the one I supposedly need.

Off the top of my mind, the crystal you are looking for (if you keep the old gasket) shouldn't even be 30 mm...more like 28 or 29 mm. The thickness should be close to 2 mm if I'm not mistaken...The divers usually take 2 mm thick. That is, you should expect the crystal not to be completely flush with the case but depending on models, it will protrude from an unnoticed bit to quite a bit. I believe your model is of the former type: a tiny, almost unnoticeable bit. This is not written on stone, since some models (not many in this brand) have crystal just under the bezel...the bezel acts as a protector...somehow, I believe it is not your situation. Either way, it won't affect the watch, only the looks...but you should have (based on your measurements, you call it "case recess") a 2 mm thick crystal which is the depth of the groove where it fits. The gasket, specially those aftermarket, should be a little under that thickness allowing for deformation (about 1.5 mm?).

Sometimes suppliers have a combination crystal + gasket that makes up for the total diameter that you need but, in my mind, is the wrong gasket for this model, i.e. that combination is with the L gasket and you should be looking for an I (i) gasket.

I hope this helps,

Cheers,

Bob

PS. With the replacement crystal that you have, since it is too big, if you are using the correct dies (to push it on the edges) you should be either destroying the crystal (literally) or the press with excessive pressure. 

Does the technical manual for this watch not quote the crystal sizing? Or is that obvious