What Can You Tell About This Clock?

bobm12

I found this clock roaming the university library...I'd love to know more about it...I believe it is a non runner, pity because it is real pretty.

post-253-0-41833100-1456369482_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-51604600-1456369477_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-38359000-1456369480_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Bob

PS. I was roaming not the clock!  :)

PS2. Appropriately, the fire extinguisher sign points to the clock, not to the devise next to it...no words!

It's fairly modern with an 8 day strike movement with I would think  Westminster chimes on weights pulled by chains with pendulum. It is possible the movement could be Westminster/ Whittington or even St Michaels chimes but I doubt it. The escapement would be the anchor type. The dial has Arabic numbers. Tempus Fugit translated means Time Flies. I see from your picture there is a plate at the bottom of the trunk if you read it you might get a date because I expect it is a presentation piece. These types of movements have no resemblance to antique Long case Clocks, all though some people will call them Long case clocks or even Grandfather Clocks.

Good call oldhippy, I didn't notice the plate. Next time I'm there I'll check it out! I don't know how I could have missed it...maybe taken by the rest of the clock...I love how it looks!

@cad: It is, but there is no BEN anywhere on it! :)

Cheers,

Bob

Back in the late 70s and early 80s there were lots and lots of these grandfather-style clocks sold in department stores in Australia.  All of them, made in China with pendulum driven movements.  They all had the florid face designs with serpentine hands and most had the "Tempus fugit" legend used as if it were a brand.

The wood is usually a cheap Chinese hardwood...sometimes even a harder variety of pine.

Back in the late 70s and early 80s there were lots and lots of these grandfather-style clocks sold in department stores in Australia.  All of them, made in China with pendulum driven movements.  They all had the florid face designs with serpentine hands and most had the "Tempus fugit" legend used as if it were a brand.

The wood is usually a cheap Chinese hardwood...sometimes even a harder variety of pine.

Its like comparing a Mini to a Rolls Royce, when people call these Grandfather clocks. There is a video on youtube where some says this is a grandfather clock movement and how you go about repairing a grandfather clock. I went to town on him explaining to him the movement is nothing like Aa grandfather and all he had was a westminster chime movement that got its power because it was weight driven.

This is a regulator Longcase. It has a  traditional regulator layout showing small hours and seconds and a large minute hand. I'll take a guess at the movement. With the single key hole in such a place I think it might be a five pillared movement and I expect it to be a dead beat escapement, that means it has no recoil. You see the recoil in an anchor escapement with seconds hand, when you look at the seconds hand the seconds hand goes slightly backwards after every second, that is the recoil. Dead beat escapements do not do that. It also might have maintaining power, many regulator clocks are fitted with this, maintaining power means when you go to wind the clock up no power is lost in the few seconds it takes you to wind it because no power is lost the power is still on, there for it doesn't lose time. For obvious reasons it has a single weight, the better regulators would have the weight cased in brass. I can't see any makers name or pendulum, something tells me this is not English. I'm not sure of the age. Could you show me the movement.

I'd love to open that one up! And see what is inside.

The librarian was trying to open it but I believe he, being new, doesn't know where the key and other particulars of the clock are. He said it used to work until recently. I don't know if I will be able to "sell" myself into fixing this one...I've never serviced a clock before so I might not even try. :)

As it is, I'm fascinated by this, apparently, very old clock. I'll try to get more details soon. And yes, I expected it not to be English made, being at a fairly new University (1928) here in Miami, FL...USA. So I believe your guess is completely accurate!

There looks to be a gauge inside this is to help you guide the case into a leveled position and to have the movement level, the tip of the pendulum should be pointed to the middle of the gauge. It looks as if it has a fine decoration which is a plus so even though its not English I still think it has a fine movement.  

Great! I'll be seeing them today Monday, the library people...let's see what happens! Thanks for the tips, much appreciated. Definitely will look for your help if they want to fix it. I just hope they do, might prove a great post and collaboration! Looking forward to it.

Cheers,

Bob