Who Uses A Pocket Watch As An Everyday Timepiece?

Back in high school, some 35 years ago, I discovered that my hobbies and interests tended to destroy any wristwatches I tried to use.  So, I went over to using a pocket watch as my everyday timepiece and, since I fell in love with them, have been using a pocket watch as my everyday watch ever since. I hear some people say that they love pocket watches, but don't use one on a daily basis because they feel a little silly.  For me, the bigger and heavier, the better!  How many of you use a pocket watch every day?  Do you have any fun stories to tell?

Hi Keith,

I do own a fair amount of pocket watches, nothing expensive or worth talking about, mostly cheap stuff but appealing to me. I've pondered many times and even tried to wear one but honestly, at this point, I will have to start finding a way to wear them safely...I wouldn't know how! I mean, I know about the chain and that the watch attached to it goes in a pocket but, I use jeans most of the time and I hate the little pocket or the bulk in the other pockets, so...which is the best way? Which is the most practical? If I have to reach -- deep -- into a pocket for a watch, I'd use my cell, readily available at my waist! And I hate to use my cell to tell the time!!

Your advise/opinion in the matter will be very helpful.

Cheers,

Bob

Whenever I wear a pocket watch, it's always with a waistcoat (vest in the US) - the watch is attached to a waistcoat buttonhole by an Albert chain, and the watch sits in the left-hand side waistcoat pocket. A friend of mine, who uses one every day, keeps his pocket watch on a short leather strap, with the watch in his top jacket pocket and the strap end through a lapel buttonhole.

Or you could just stick it in your pants pocket!

Cheers,

Will

I hate the little pocket or the bulk in the other pockets, so...which is the best way? Which is the most practical? If I have to reach -- deep -- into a pocket for a watch, I'd use my cell, readily available at my waist! And I hate to use my cell to tell the time!!

Your advise/opinion in the matter will be very helpful.

Cheers,

Bob

I clip my chain, a cheapy Chinese one that I bought on eBay for $3 USD, to the belt loop just in front of my left pocket.  I clip the watch to the other end, and just drop it into the left pocket.  When I need (or just want) to check the time, I hook the chain with my right index finger, and pull the watch into my waiting left hand.  I do it in one smooth motion that I don't even have to think about after all this time.  The watch is smooth enough that it slides right past whatever other stuff is in that pocket.  I keep my keys, and other watch-scratching items, in my right pocket.  I never use that little watch pocket on my jeans.  Way too bulky, and the watch isn't nearly as well protected.  I don't worry about the little bit of extra time it takes me to retrieve my pocket watch.  Carrying a pocket watch makes checking the time a special little event--there shouldn't be a rush.

Hi Keith,

I do own a fair amount of pocket watches, nothing expensive or worth talking about, mostly cheap stuff but appealing to me.

As far as I'm concerned, pocket watches don't always have to be high-end, expensive or fancy.  They are unique just by being pocket watches.  In high school, I carried cheap watches that are nowadays referred to as dollar watches.  Sometimes, my friends would make me put it in another room because the LOUD ticking of a cheap watch annoyed them to no end.  Fun for me...but not for them.  Now, I can afford MUCH nicer vintage watches, but I still have, and occasionally use, one of my old dollar watches.  Come to think of it, My 18s Elgin from 1890 ticks about as loudly as my dollar watches.  Guess I'll have to pay attention where I wear that one.  People are always so surprised when I, someone who is really into pocket watches, want to see their watch, even though it is a cheap department store, nothing watch.  Hey, it's a pocket watch...that's all I need to know to be interested.

Wow, guys, this is excellent, much appreciated.

I got to try that, pulling the chain and catching with the other hand! It sounds cool. As for the small jeans pocket, I've tried that and I'm not too hot about it. The thing is that small pockets for me are not convenient, I feel (probably it is just in my head) that things get squished and there is too much pressure in whatever you put in them...except change that tends to ride at the bottom whereas the top closes naturally. One more reason to hate those for storing things since I have to dig my fingers forcefully in that small space -- almost no room -- and "scratch" things out of the pocket.  :)

Cheers,

Bob

My Father was a New Zealand sheep farmer and he worked a large tract of land for 35 hears or so. Hard work and I still vividly remember the Smiths pocket watches that he wore in a little leather pouch on his belt. I can still hear the sound of them and remember the worn look of the pouch. He went through a few, either busted them in his work or drowned them in the winter. Either way it resulted in a trip to the farmers COOP to choose another. In many ways, the life long penchant I've had for dismantling watches and repairing them started there as I always inherited the casualties of his work and rapidly reduced them to the sum of their parts.

I now have a few Walthams floating around the bottom of my draw that I quite often take out for a spin. The trouble is we don't wear pocket watch friendly clothing anymore, except for the Levi's jeans with the small watch pocket on them. My favorite is a 16 S gold filled hunter case. It clanks and chatters away in my jeans pocket often. I don't use a chain as the 16size sits nice and snug in a standard Levi's watch pocket. Though I rather suspect that chains look after balance staffs by preventing a fall. Because there is no longer time at a glance of the wrist, there is almost a ritualistic removable from the pocket, flick open of the case for a measured perusal of the time. I find that going out with a pocket watch, I become a little less time conscious as I don't seem to be able to have the constant monitoring that a wrist watch gives you.

• Like 1

Bimroy, what a great story!  The ticking of one of my cheap, loud watches, would bring back childhood memories for you.  If you ever want to sell one of his old watches, let me know.  I just love a pocket watch with a story behind it.  I ALWAYS use a chain, or a leather strap, on my pocket watches for the exact reason you mentioned--dropping the watch.  Too many times, I've had a really nice railroad-grade pocket watch slip through my hand, only to be rescued by the chain or strap.  Broken balance staffs scare me.

• 2 weeks later...