Looking For A Pocket Watch

Hello all,

For quite a while now I have been trying to find a pocket watch made by my my ancestor Benjamin Harlow, Lane End, Staffordshire. I have always managed to miss them in the auctions but found reference to them on the net. They would be Georgian ( George 3rd). Probably silver pair cased possibly fusee verge and the movement would be signed.

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated as I would like to possess one and pass it on to my son.

Cheers,

Vic

• 5 months later...

Well a watch has turned uo for sale at £349 on the Bay and the movement is one of the Benjamin Harlows (Of which there are at least 4 watchmakers / clockmakers) and it looks good - a bit too good to be the one I am after in my direct lineage - it is a Harlow but not quite right.  My movement would be Georgian and look like the example below but the one for sale looks absolutely mint condition - a bit too mint perhaps.

The one for sale is very pretty and the movement is a Harlow and I am still ruminating.

Cheers,

Vic

Benjamin Harlow Watch - Georgian.jpg

Bonhams - George 3rd Pocket watch.jpg

full front.jpg

internal 2.jpg

face.jpg

• 1 month later...

I take your point oldhippy thanks for the advice which is good. 

I let it go though because although it was reasonably priced it was not exactly what I wanted which would have been like the Georgian one pictured. Although the one I am after is probably a bit less shiny it will have been in the hands of my 5 generations back Gt. Grandfather rather than his sons brother..  On reflection, I could have got it I suppose as it was still a Harlow family watch, but thats just the way it goes.

In my genealogical hobby I have the full tree of the harlow Clockmakers and Brassfounders from Ashbourne through to Staffordshire and later on Ironfounders in Macclesfield.  Luckily I can pinpoint the exact relative and have dates of birth and death and wills, indentures  etc.  However, getting the right watch can be a bit problematic.

I am quite patient and will keep looking though but sincere thanks for the interest and advice.

Regards,

Vic