Why Would This Happen?

jeffc83

I am running into what may be a unique issue.  I recently serviced a Ruko 1940's military style watch.  I have looked at the balance and hairspring over a dozen times now and it is true, flat and none of the coils are touching.  So I ask, why would this movement just stop dead after "X" amount of time?  What is really odd is that it can run for an hour, sometimes two, sometimes a minute....why?  I checked the hands, gears, pinions, etc..  Currently, it is running of course, lol.  I threw it on the timegrapher and the results were "decent". (amplitude was a little low at 240 and the BE was also a tad bit high at 1.3ms)  Do I have to disassemble this thing again?  I have even sectioned out the movement to help troubleshoot and all is well when going through and troubleshooting each section.  Thanks for listening, the movement is a Swiss 17 Jewel.

post-1795-0-99935200-1455901186_thumb.jp

post-1795-0-24824300-1455901192_thumb.jp

post-1795-0-84128000-1455901197_thumb.jp

post-1795-0-67426400-1455901203_thumb.jp

I'm by no means an expert, indeed a novice, but did you clean and grease the mainspring? I've had a previous problem whereby the movement appeared to be "tightening up" at unpredictable intervals. I subsequently cleaned and greased the mainspring (which I should have done first time round!) and all was well.

• Like 1

I would check everything again using a very strong eyeglass and I mean everything, run it without dial and hands and out of the case, if all is well after 24 hours, add dial and hands and run for another 24 hours, if all is ok case the thing up and see how it goes.

• Like 1

Thanks guys!  I will admit, I looked at the mainspring and she looked okay to me so I didn't do anything but close it back up.  I think that might be my problem now....so even if it is wound tight, it may still lose power?  (crap, what I get for taking a shortcut)  

@ oldhippy - That is a very good suggestion....I just stopped it (was running for a few hours) and removed the dial and hands to test:)  Will report back.

Edited by jeffc83

Damn....it stopped within 5 minutes of sitting there without the dial or hands.  I then started it back up and it was running good again for almost an hour....flipped it over and it was also running good for another 10-15 minutes. (still hasn't stopped)  This thing may have a gremlin if it isn't the mainspring. (starting to lean toward gremlins)

Edited by jeffc83

It has to be the mainspring.  I let the mainspring down and noticed the lack of unwinding if you will. (was quite slow to unwind)  I checked the barrel cover and all parts three times but will do so again this evening.  I wound it 1/4 tight and it is running strong for now.  Clockboy, you're absolutely right, no more shortcuts for me with servicing, lol.  So my next question is: Can I wind a mainspring by hand?  I only have every other tool except the mainspring winders;)

Shoot...wish there was an easier way such as purchasing the whole barrel and spring in one piece!  I'd pay a decent amount of money for it too since I don't have the winders nor hand winding skill.  Thanks for the advice....I hope this one isn't toast just for the mainspring/my lack of skill there.

It has to be the mainspring.  I let the mainspring down and noticed the lack of unwinding if you will. (was quite slow to unwind)  I checked the barrel cover and all parts three times but will do so again this evening.  I wound it 1/4 tight and it is running strong for now.  Clockboy, you're absolutely right, no more shortcuts for me with servicing, lol.  So my next question is: Can I wind a mainspring by hand?  I only have every other tool except the mainspring winders;)

If you do not have a mainspring winder I would just purchase a new one as it seems the mainspring is set anyway.

I agree with clockboy, that spring is set.

i have duplicates of a number of sizes of winders, if you can tell me the size of your MS barrel i will check if i have a spare winder in your size.

if so i would be happy to send it to you free of charge. i never use my spares, they just sit in a drawer.

i also have a drawer full of mainsprings i bought as a lot years ago. hundreds of them.

if you know your dimensions i will look at what i have.

i will never use the wrist watch sizes anyway.

i'm a pocket watch guy.

P.S. although it is possible to wind a mainspring by hand it is VERY likely you will kink it in the process.

i would advise against it.

Todd

Edited by dalarry

@Clockboy - Thanks, I'll do that!

@dalarry - Wow, I'm at a loss of words here! Thanks so much for the offer, I will disassemble it again to find out the details!

Quick update: I'll certainly be replacing the mainspring but in the meantime, I wanted to try a few things and I had an ah-ha moment. I let down the mainspring and wound it back up five times then got her going. Not only is it still ticking after 13 straight hours, it's keeping PERFECT time! (Not even a second off) At first, I was reconsidering even touching it again because why fix something that's not broken but I know this problem will arise again if I don't take care of it now. Thanks again all!

UPDATE 2:  I found a barrel with good mainspring in my "junk movement" pile. (same exact movement, easy call)  I am happy to report that all is well with the movement.  Having said that, I now need new "radium" hands, which should be in next week.  If anyone ever needs radium hands, (I'll get the exact sizes)  I'll have 200 (NOS) of them soon:D

Hi Jeff,

Glad the problem is sorted. I've been following this thread and learning from the pros. Careful with the radium, it is not healthy to say the least.

In a lighter note, I had the same problem with a clock and I solved it by feeding the hamster that was running it! Easy! :)

Cheers,

Bob

PS. a bad joke to lighten the mood now that everything is OK.

• Like 1