Seiko 5 6309-8620 With Misaligned Dial

JumboSlim

This is my first post, so apologies if it's not quite right.

I found a Seiko 5 in the street a few months ago and handed it in as lost property. A few of days ago I received it as not claimed...cool, a free watch.

I set it and it has kept suprisingly good time since, losing only a few seconds in 3 or so days, quite acceptable, to me at least.

The only issue I have with it, and being a gift effectively I shouldn't really have any, is the dial is not aligned to the case.

The whole face seems to be a few degrees behins true.

I have opened the case, removed the movement and checked the dial feet, which I thought may have been damaged and the dial glue in place somehow, but the feet seem to be undamaged and held fast by retaining screws.

is this a simple fix, or would it cost more than the watch is worth to have rectified, after all it is something I can live with, as it gives the watch a certain quirkiness.

So any suggestions or recommendations are very much appreciated.

post-1835-0-78873700-1455844362_thumb.jp

What is strange is that that day and date are aligned with the window. Is it possible that movement (in fact the day ring) was replaced from a case with crown at 3, but someone rotated the movement ring to keep the day aligned. Day ring for crown at 4 is easily available.

In my experience with Seikos, it is the dial the one that is made for dates at 3 or 4, due to placement of dial feet. All other parts are the same for both instances. The only variation for the plastic ring is the height for when there is a chapter ring or a lower depth case well. In any case, I'll be waiting for developments on this watch and pictures...

Cheers,

Bob

PS. Maybe it is the plastic ring that is positioned incorrectly in the movement...

Doesn't make sense to me.  The dial is misplaced around 6 deg (looking at the minute markers) anticlockwise which is less than the rotation between 3 & 4 which would be 30 deg.  If the stem fits normally at 4 clock then either the stem tube is out of position or the dial and movement is wrong for the case.  Only things I can think of is a bent stem (unlikely if its working ok) or the wrong case or wrong movement.  If the dial is incorrectly located then the window would be wrong re the date dial unless the date dial is wrong!   The movement/case combination is normally printed on the dial or stamped on the back.  I would check these out to see if the combination you have is correct.   Or, could it just be a bad fake!

Edited by canthus

This is what I'm thinking:

post-253-0-07344100-1455893599_thumb.jpg

This is an example of a movement ring and as you can see there are many places for the stem to find its way out of the movement but in most cases the ring fits in a certain way in the case. If the ring is positioned wrong but in such a way that everything else fits you get the rotation.

Then the dial does not belong to the watch, might have had its dial feet redone and badly so therefore the misalignment. 

Now that I look better. Dial doesn't belong to watch and not to Seiko either. No P/N printing at 6, goofy 'J' and 's' in Jewels.

Now that I look better. Dial doesn't belong to watch and not to Seiko either. No P/N printing at 6, goofy 'J' and 's' in Jewels.

Agree. That looks like a redial. Certainly not a Seiko dial. I think the OP can find a nicer dial that work with the movement. 

i've been searching the net for a while now and I cannot find any reference to genuine Seiko 5 6309-8620, all the 6309s seem to be divers watches.

I have found a couple on nice dials that are designed the 6309 movement and a 4pm crown location, neither are for the 8620 case though, according to the numbers on the dials around the 6pm area.

will this be a problem, neither of the dials show the reverse, so I can't see the feet loactions.

i've been searching the net for a while now and I cannot find any reference to genuine Seiko 5 6309-8620, all the 6309s seem to be divers watches.

I have found a couple on nice dials that are designed the 6309 movement and a 4pm crown location, neither are for the 8620 case though, according to the numbers on the dials around the 6pm area.

will this be a problem, neither of the dials show the reverse, so I can't see the feet loactions.

Probably you can make the dial fit anyway. Question is, would be worth it? Watch is not original and not worth much before and it wouldn't be later. There are more funny ways to learn and tinker with Seiko parts, for example buy a lot or two from Ramon (thewatchcollector) on Ebay.

• Like 1

Probably not a Feiko but definitely a Franken. Do you have a picture of the inside of the back?

When I proclaimed it a feiko, Tapatalk had only loaded one of the pics in post #9. The missing pic was of the movement which shows a 6309.

I hereby retract "feiko" but maintain "franken".

Please read the above with a suitable trumpet fanfare playing in the background [emoji16]

Oh, and the crown is not the correct one. I think it shouldn't protrude from the case.

• Like 2

My guess is that the case is a 6119 and the movement and dial is from a 6309 . The 6119 has a quick change function. That is why the crown protrude  a little from the case. And the 6119 has the crown a little higher then the 6309 case . That is why the movement and dial isn't align? It is a franken seiko watch.

some of the seikos have the crown at 3:45 instead of 4:00. it escapes me which movements these are. this might be the simple case of a 4 o'clock movement placed into a 3:45 case. it will fit but i will be off by a few degrees.

i can just about guarantee this is an "india" special. it has all of the telltale signs.

you probably don't have an 8620 case, just the caseback.

Edited by ramrod

I, with practically no experience of these things bow to all your suggestions.

I think it is an "India" special...I have found the following on ebay, it's from India and has the same "Funky" J & S in Jewels.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-SEIKO-5-AUTOMATIC-JAPAN-MENS-DAY-DATE-WATCH-lot586-a8170-/231854902136?hash=item35fba10b78:g:4BcAAOSwG-1WzJ3U

Remarkably, the watch is still running very acurately and seems to be less than 10 seconds out after a week.

I might just be tempted to buy one or two of these Indian Seikos/Franken watches, they generally seem to look pretty good and if the one I have is anything to go by, are accurate enough for me. And cheaper than an Argos wear it and bin it fashion watch.

hi Jumboslim,

yes, it is a franken watch, but so what!

it was free and it keeps great time!

there are a number of epray sellers that put junk movements and junk cases together to make frankens and they are JUNK!

you got a good one!

enjoy and don't sweat the misalignment.

proudly make that watch your avatar here.

it is a great site with great people. stick around.

attached is a pic of my seikos.

todd

post-807-0-87611800-1456274309_thumb.jpg

P.S.

please don't buy from them.

they are crooks, selling crap to unsuspecting people. don't encourage them with your hard earned money.

if you want another Seiko 5 i will send you one for the cost of shipping. 

i used to collect seikos,

but now i am a pocket watch guy. 

but you can't have this one! I love it!

todd

post-807-0-90480800-1456275608_thumb.jpg

Edited by dalarry
  • Like 1