01 Binary Watch Battery

Alienfox

Hi den,

You definitely need to pop up that back (it is a "press on" according to the picture). Then you will see the battery (hopefully) and from it you can take what number it is, and replace it. It is common to find the CR type: CR 2025 or CR 2016, inside those: in fact, they are usually lithium based, the batteries. 

Worst case scenario, you might need to "lift" a section of the circuit board to find the battery if covered by it (or a second battery if the first doesn't solve the problem or there is a back up -- usually of different type) but it is not likely for this watch (I hope). The extra battery(s) setup for digital watches is very rare today and mostly used in cheap 2 movement ...or very expensive digital ones. Normal stuff is just one. (This watch doesn't have a calculator or 2 movements, etc).

Now, most likely the battery is held down by a springy metal plate and a couple of Philip head screws that keep the metal plate down. They most likely screw into plastic/board. Be careful of "(A)" screws flying away by means of the plate propelling them and "(B)" stripping the plastic where they go in...there are other "C" and "D" -- and a whole alphabet -- of things that can go wrong, including damaging the circuit but if you are careful and gentle those may never happen.

In the end, that back might need to be back on using a press to close it properly but, being the watch 3 atm, it just might go in by pressing with your fingers. Whatever the case is, don't put excessive pressure on the crystal but try to use the bezel instead to support the watch.

I hope this helps and that I'm giving you good advise...otherwise you'll be in trouble with your son!  :)

Cheers,

Bob

PS. Working on people's watches regardless how close and/or forgiving they be, is always a different experience!

Yeah, most people try to pry open by trying to insert the knife almost horizontally when in reality it should go almost vertical to avoid slipping and scratching the back. It is a normal thing even for beginner watchmakers until they get the hang of it. One thing about opening the back, specially when the knife is used improperly is that sometimes, and because the force exerted is so strong, the momentum carries the knife all the way, unchecked, and when we manage to stop it, it is half way inside the movement and the damage is already done. Therefore the "vertical" use of the knife, it won't go past the protective metal of the case, won't slip and won't mar the surface. :)

I personally prefer whenever possible to use this tool:

fb225.jpg

or a properly shaped watchmakers knife:

berg6987-10.jpg