Is A Watchmaker's Lathe Useful To A Hobbyist?

Bill3

I have read many oblique references to the watchmaker's lathe, in fact I have heard of a book devoted to that subject, but I have not read it. I am a hobbyist struggling to learn enough to clean and oil watches that I collect and wear. Although that is all that I do now, I hope to improve my skills to the point that I can repair watches.

Here is my situation. I have come across a watchmaker's lathe that is for sale at a price that I can afford. Despite seeing references to a lathe, I have never heard specifics about what tasks are accomplished with this tool. Are they useful for the hobbyist? What are they used for? Are they useful in the hands of a beginner? Any other thoughts about the usefulness of a lathe would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Bill H.

Georgia, USA

If you are just doing watch servicing, it's certainly not essential. Having said that, as an engineer I wouldn't be without mine. I have used it many times fora a great variety of jobs from re-pivoting to simple polishing jobs.

Anyone who has a lathe for the first time is a beginner no matter what size it is. If it's a lathe with no attachments  you won't achieve very much. You will need a motor and a foot peddle and a good assortment of chucks plus gravers to use for turning, a good stone to sharpen your tools also a good set of needle files and possible emery sticks. nearly forgot a good burnishing tool. Just make sure the lathe has good bearings and that there's little or no play, if there is that's a sure sign of wear. See that it lines up properly if it doesn't it most likely has at some time been dropped. I'm sure I've forgotten stuff others will help you.