Keitharoo

Cleaning And Oiling A Pocket Watch

Question

I'm a total newbie to servicing my pocket watch collection. I'm about to first clean and oil a practice movement, then eventually do my vintage railroad grade watches. I don't have a machine...yet, so I'll be doing things by hand. I'm hoping to draw on all of your experience. How long do I soak the parts in the Zenith cleaning solution? Then, how long in the Zenith rinse? Are there any parts that should NOT go into the cleaning solution at all? Then, what parts should NOT be oiled?

6 answers to this question

Obviously the dial must not be soak in cleaning solution but you can clean enamel dial in distilled water with some drops of dishwashing liquid.

I suggest you read some books like "Practical Watch Repairing" (Donald de Carle), the "Chicago School of Watchmaking" or the "Bulova School of Watchmaking"

Thanks for all the guidance.  I will look into those books.  Also, at the suggestion of many, I went ahead and bought an ultrasonic cleaning machine, so at least now I won't be doing this by hand.

Smart man, I did the same myself after attempting to service my first movement:)  

I set my ultrasonic cleaner timer anywhere from 3-10 minutes, depending on the dirtiness of the movement.  As for a rinse, I just rinse in warm water before blow drying all the parts.  I know there is a "rinse" solution out there but my "filtered" tap water works just fine;)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By trevsdad
      I'd like to try my hand at converting a vintage pocket into a wristwatch.
      For anyone who knows, what size pocket watch should I aim for and what's the best source for an appropriate sized case? Is a 'Hunter' best for this? What's the best solution for a winding stem and if I have to go with a case that's not drilled for the stem, what's the best solution?
      In other words, what best practice for this mod?? Any help would be appreciated.
      thanks
    • By Bethan36
      Hi Fellow People,
      Im reaching out as I’m currently learning all I can about watchmaking, and am working through the BHI distance learning technicians course, with my exam booked for May. 
      I will need to service a quartz watch as part of my practical exam, and am learning about watch lubrication. 
      A few months ago I found a great article that covered the technique for dipping and collecting the right amount of oil on the oiler, such as the speed and angle of the dip, however, I now can’t find it anywhere, no matter how much I search the internet 
      Does anyone have or can point me in the right direction of instructions specifically on oil collection on the oiler?  As you will know there is lots on the actual oiling process but not the oil collection process.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated.  
      Thanks
      Bethan

• By Giuseppe
      Hello I'm starting to service a vintage zenith with 2572PC movement in it.
      First problem is I can't seem to find a way to release the winder.
      This apperas to be the simplest type of relese system as a push down bolt is easily spotted.
      The point is it just doesn't release and this is where doubts come in...
      Am I missing something?
      In the attached image I'm trying to show what is unexpected to my unexperienced eyes.
      TIA
      Giuseppe

• By Dave84
      Hi Everyone 
      I hope you are all well. 
      It has been 12 months or so since I last logged in, and shamefully about the same since I pulled out my box of old watches. I was browsing the 'Bay' as always and really liked the look of this Waltham Traveler. I picked it up for less than £10 and would like to use it as my first restoration project. I have undertaken minor repairs in the past but nothing like this, I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew. 
      I need to find a key to see if it winds & runs, repair/service it and source the hands and a case, which is uncharted territory for me and I'm not sure how easily they are sized / sourced.
      Any help, advice or pointers that you guys may be useful to me will be greatly received
      Many thanks in advance 
      Dave  

• By AdamC
      It's been a while since I've worked on a movement as old as this. A friend asked me to look at whether I could get his great-grandmother's watch working again. When I first saw it, I thought it was an old 1920's ladies wristwatch, though thought it odd that the winding stem is at 12. However, on closer examination, it resembles more of an old pocket watch movement. Now amazingly, the watch is ticking when wound but I cannot pull the stem to set the hands. On removing the dial, I can see the yoke and yoke spring on the opposite side. But would I be right in thinking that it is missing the setting lever? There is a space that looks suspiciously like there could have been a setting lever there once but I could be wrong.
      I'd also be interested to hear your opinions on the age of the movement. I'm thinking around 1900.
      What's more surprising is that when the case is closed, you don't see the chipped porcelain around the edges, so thick is the bevel. It looks so nice and ornate and when the case is closed. Would love to be able repair but have my doubts.
      Any ideas about the keyless works?
      Thanks in advance.