Replacing A Quartz Crystal Oscillator

jas

Hello Jas;

I'm new to watches and this forum too and never done a crystal change-out on a watch. However, I also have my head in electronics. It seems to me that a lot of watch crystals operate at 32,768 Hz. It all depends on the size and type you have, but you can find certain types 32,768 Hz crystals on eBay, for example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10Pcs-32-768KHz-32768HZ-Crystal-Oscillator-2-x-6-mm-TOP-/272041594203?hash=item3f56f14d5b:g:nVwAAOSwSHZWg4uU

Soldering is going to be a bit tricky as the watch pcb's aren't the biggest in the world and quite fragile.

Did you de-solder the old crystal and tested it?

If you can find out which movement you have, sometimes, if you are lucky, you can find a new circuit-board or the complete movement on eBay, for not much money.

Hope that helps?

Yeah...i did it a lot of times...i found out that the most comon problems in quarts movement is the crystal..after u've changed,it function well again..now i need the source for crystal..its hard to find a crystal in my supplier in phil.

I always did it...no need to find a new movement..or new circuit block...there are many model of movements that so rare..and expensive...to buy new one..replacing crystal is always a remedy..if coil is ok and the wheels.

Really ramon have that? Is that u mean? I plan to order a brandnew but i have some question..what is the crystal size of black machine pc21?...and what is the smallest size of crystal oscillator for quarts? Thank u for the answer if have..

Hi Jas,

I believe that for US$5 it doesn't really justify the effort of changing the crystal oscillator in a pc21...that's how much the whole movement, brand new costs...but hey, if you enjoy doing that, my hat's off to you. That to me is a real feast!

Of course, maybe IF that crystal can be used in many other movements then I would consider starting doing it too...with my poor, remaining electronics knowledge which I purposely tried hard to forget in my old age! :)

Cheers,

Bob

Really ramon have that? Is that u mean? I plan to order a brandnew but i have some question..what is the crystal size of black machine pc21?...and what is the smallest size of crystal oscillator for quarts? Thank u for the answer if have..

Sorry. Missed the word 'movements' from my post.

He sells used movements so if you wanted to remove quartz crystal....

As bob said though, most times cheaper to buy replacement movement.

Yeah bob,thanks..the crystal of pc21 is the same size of other movements like 2030,citizin,etc..that is why..if i have no stocks of crystal..i bought a new movement of pc21 coz its cheaper than other movements and transfer the crystal to a defective other model of movement...its very low cost to change a crystal of ETA movement and other swiss movements than to buy a new movement..

Cheer...

Jas

Guys do u know the exact size of the smallest crystal for quartz..im planing to order it in the enternet...but i dont know the exact size...swiss movements always use this..like ETA.

Sent from my Q860 using Tapatalk

Hahaha...i wondered many techinician even who claimed experts did not know that..if the coils ok..and the wheels...if the movements do not move..they always jump to a conclusion of changing the circuit block or the whole machine....damage ic is very rare cases..

Sent from my Q860 using Tapatalk

Good for you and thanks for sharing........ ;)

Maybe you could let us know which type and form crystals are the most common? The eBay link I've given you yesterday was just random shape and for through-hole electronics, where size and shape is often not so critical. SMD oscillators obviously are, but not sure whether you find these in watches?

Edited by Endeavor

Hello Steven;

I'm impressed ! I'll take it the dimensions given are from a cylindrical crystal, 1.5mm in diameter, 5mm long?

The only few quartz watches I ever opened had a cylindrical crystal somewhere mounted on the edge of the circuit-board. Are they all like that or do SMD crystals, mounted in the middle of the circuit-board, also exist?