Just Restored A Hesso With Eta 2390

jeffc83

First off, I apologize for the lack of pics here.  I didn't realize members are doing walkthroughs on this forum until recently so I neglected to take "progress pics" for you all.  I am a beginner watchmaker in my 7th month.  I've broken quite a few movements so now it's time to get serious now that I am BEYOND experienced in breaking them:(  Yes, I have restored about a dozen but have also broken several dozen movements trying to understand everything.  After reading and breaking (then repeating over and over), I'm proud to introduce a real "beater watch" that I could save from the scrap pile/junkyard.  Again, I apologize for the lack of before and after pictures but I can tell you that this thing was nasty on the inside and out let alone not working at all.  Now, she not only looks decent but is ticking away happily with a BE of 0.8 (I know, not great) and amplitude is back up to 271!  It is truly exciting to be on a forum where we can share these types of things, I'm hoping to learn a lot from you guys and will also help as much as I can too:D  Thanks for reading!

The first two pictures below were "reference" points during disassembly just in case I needed to figure out how to get it back together, lol. (didn't need them after all)  The last picture is the final product:)  There is supposed to be a second hand but A) it was totaled to begin with (snapped in half when I bought it) and B: I like this particular watch better without one;)

post-1795-0-00292600-1455654189_thumb.jp

post-1795-0-71292600-1455654193_thumb.jp

post-1795-0-10439100-1455654198_thumb.jp

Edited by jeffc83
  • Like 2

Thanks bobm12!  This movement was surprisingly fun and easy to work on as the gear train layout was quite nice in terms of gear placement:)  Everything just settled into place right away so the project only took 4.5 hours total!

Tonight, I will be attempting to service a Cornavin from the 70's with a 17 jewel movement that I've never seen before. (certainly not an ETA)  This should be interesting to say the least;P

Edited by jeffc83
  • Like 1

LOL, I should have but was too embarrassed to take pics of that Cornavin last night :unsure: Tonight, I will definitely take pics of what I work on!  (should be a 1940's 17 Jewel Military watch, which was in a lot of 70 watches total)  This lot looks exciting to work on....lots of good stuff :biggrin:

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, yorkist said:

Hi again, the setting lever is screwed down here to hold the winding stem in place by virtue of  the small upstand you can see sitting in the recess on the stem

ETA Setting Lever.jpg

The setting lever has 2 functions, the first is to hold the winding stem in position and secondly to operate the setting of the hands.  It is held in place by a bolt or screw which is accessed at the reverse of the setting lever on the top plate.I have downloaded a picture showing the position of the setting lever, 10 being the lever and 11 being the screw. Hope this helps

I have also sent a PM 

Best of luck

Yorkist

keyless work.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

thanks yorkist.got the setting lever back in and sorted everything else out ,then found a screw had sheared off so got myself some small drills,so should be able to sort that out ! already got new screws thanks again. bernie. PS i am doing a new post re seagull sp16 if you know anything.

• Like 1