Top Class Pocket Watch.

For pocket watch fans this "Patek Philippe" must start the juices flowing,  they don't come much,  if any, better.  Whoever gave it as a present must have had plenty of money,  be interesting as to how much it would fetch at auction today.

post-37-0-64899600-1397319814_thumb.jpg

post-37-0-86864800-1397319822_thumb.jpg

post-37-0-61804000-1397319827_thumb.jpg

The devil is in the detail, isn't it. The hands and dial are beautifully crafted, as is the case. I see it has eight adjustments - presumably for isochronism and positions. Some of my US Railroad Grade pocket watches have that level of exactness, but without the fine detail of the Patek movement.

I had a look on the net and it looks as though the Patek could be mine,  or one very similar,  for around the £4,000 ish. mark,  less than I thought but more than I can spare for a watch.  I would be very interested if anyone knows how the porcelain dials were made,  I think they may have been hand painted,  in which case they had a very steady hand indeed.

As the start of a small collection I have just bought an "Illinois Bunn, 17 jewel,  temp + 5 pos."  the movement is a work of art and definitely deserves a display back.

Edited by autowind

Will,  Your Bunn specials are just that, Special, they are works of art,  fortunately for us the whole world does not know this,  as if they did the price would increase 10x.

Timing for positions and temperature is another art,  as you can imagine getting it right for one position will most likely upset it for another position which you have just got right,  very clever work.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...