Need New Stem / Crown For Old Swiss Army Cavalry Watch

Jso

Hello, I'm new here. Never repaired a watch before but hope I can muddle through this one . I imagine a professional repair would cost more than the watch is worth. The stem on this watch broke. I have both pieces. I removed the remaining piece of stem from inside.( took forever ) The movement says Ronda, but no numbers. I think the crown might be permanently attached or at least very tight.

I really like the watch and hope someone can help me fix it. Thanks!

It appears to be a Ronda 515 typical in those Swiss Military watches. The stem is one piece and you need a pin vise to hold the remaining piece of stem and this way unscrew the crown (recover it). You will also need a new stem for this movement or an extender if it fits in the tube. You will need a stem/wire cutter, caliper, sanding stone/diamond to fit the new stem (or extender) and don't forget to dip in Loctite 222 (not a glue) the stem portion that goes in the crown. I also, once everything is fit and ready, lube the inside of the crown (the gasket) with silicon grease and lube with the appropriate oil the tip of the stem.

Search Geo's excellent "how to" for the stem fitting technique.

Cheers,

Bob

Just ordered the stem and a pin vise. I'll assume that if the pin needs to be trimmed, I do not cut the threaded end.

Thanks again. What a great forum!

Actually it is the threaded end (that pokes out of the side of the watch and screws into the crown) that you DO cut.

The other end which goes into the movement is specially shaped to connect into the setting works, so if you cut that off it won't work at all.

It appears to be a Ronda 515 typical in those Swiss Military watches. The stem is one piece and you need a pin vise to hold the remaining piece of stem and this way unscrew the crown (recover it). You will also need a new stem for this movement or an extender if it fits in the tube. You will need a stem/wire cutter, caliper, sanding stone/diamond to fit the new stem (or extender) and don't forget to dip in Loctite 222 (not a glue) the stem portion that goes in the crown. I also, once everything is fit and ready, lube the inside of the crown (the gasket) with silicon grease and lube with the appropriate oil the tip of the stem.

Search Geo's excellent "how to" for the stem fitting technique.

Cheers,

Bob

Hello!

Is it Loctite 221 or 222? I don't want to correct you, I just want to be sure.

Thank you,

Bogdan