Rolex Submariner Bracelet Tubes?

Endeavor

Hello All;

Dismantled my Rolex 16613 bi-metal bracelet this morning for cleaning.

post-1663-0-96392300-1455095287.jpg

Some links are permanently fixed together, some (towards the clip) are connected with a long screw. I assume to reduce the wear between the long stainless steel screw and the gold link, a stainless steel sleeve or tube is fitted, loosely fitted inside the gold link, and the screw runs through the sleeve/tube.

I found my tubes worn, one of them had only halve a sleeve/tube left.

The SS sleeves/tubes measure OD ø 2.3mm and are 7.4mm long. The screw which runs through it measures OD ø 1.7mm

I couldn't find them by Cousins, eBay or a internet search (maybe I'm using the wrong search terms?).

Anybody any idea where I can find 4x, and a few spare, of these sleeves / tubes?

Hope to hear.....

Regards: Roland.

Thanks a lot! I couldn't find the tubes/sleeves in their catalog, but just sent them an email......see what they say!?

These tubes don't seem very special to me, any other tube/sleeve with an OD of 2.3mm, a hole > than 1.7mm and >7.4mm long would fit the bill. They are inside the bracelet, so it doesn't have to be "Rolex".

We'll wait and see.

Thanks a lot! I couldn't find the tubes/sleeves in their catalog, but just sent them an email......see what they say!?

These tubes don't seem very special to me, any other tube/sleeve with an OD of 2.3mm, a hole > than 1.7mm and >7.4mm long would fit the bill. They are inside the bracelet, so it doesn't have to be "Rolex".

That is exactly the kind of items that are harder find as generic.

My local "material house" claimed they that don't carry any pin and collar for bracelets and pretended to not even understand what these are.

Hello JDM;

I don't mind generic......in fact anything will do. If you know anything which looks alike, even if it needs some work, please let me know........

If they are so hard to find, I need to get my hands on a lath and machine them myself. It's just a plain bushing.....

Edited by Endeavor

I actually think you should buy Rolex tubes? I bought some Generic tubes from cousinsuk for my Omega seamaster pre-bond 200. 

The pins where alright but the tubes where oversized and loose fitting. They where sold as a kit. So i bought the real thing instead.

It's a Rolex not a Citizen. 

Check out Micheal Young at wristimes.com 

Edited by rogart63

Needle steel is an option and I'll investigate this route further if I can't find any bushings, Rolex or generic.

Yes, it's a Rolex, but if Rolex makes it so hard to purchase a consumable item (they a meant to take the wear), then one has to resort to alternatives.

At the end of the day, you still like to wear your Rolex, and not stick it in the drawer because of the unavailability of a simple part.

I'll continue searching........

Thanks for the answers so far !

Roland.

I believe one make a cylinder and then drills it. Or use a ready made cylinder, like a wire or something...it may be quite an achievement at those dimensions.

@Roland: Some fake Rolex bands use the system described here so why not finding one and use the parts?

Cheers,

Bob

I've seen 2.5mm SS round rods. If the lath is well centered, you put a 1.8mm drill in the center and drill a hole in the rod. One or two things depending on how well the SS rod let itself drill(?). It's going to be delicate work. Needle steel, as Geo suggested, may be the first option to look at.

If 2.5mm is too big, perhaps sand it down a bit before you drill the hole.

Maybe there are better ways to do it!?

Edited by Endeavor

How about the Panarei tubes for the straps ? Haven't measured them but the are made of stainless steel 316L. Must be around 2-2,5 mm in diameter? 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Screws-and-Tubes-/272029472243 

2,6 mm :) or :(

A stainless steel spring bar in 2,3 mm diameter? And use the center as tube? Seiko Fatbar is 2,5 ? 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seiko-Fat-Divers-Spring-Bars-316L-Stainless-Steel-20mm-22mm-Strap-Springbars-/281120933987?var=&hash=item41741d0863:m:m_OD9eWG8Ra4OHF-087C6Ww

Edited by rogart63

Excellent Rogart63! :thumbsu:

The Panerai tubes are nearly a perfect match.

post-1663-0-93949100-1455165895.png

Even the bolt diameter is as good as it comes;

post-1663-0-82833100-1455165924.png

The eBay link you have giving is removed, or at least that's the message I get. But I found them on eBay in Australia, 5 tubes and 5 bolts, including postage to Denmark for $10. (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221794890473)

The tubes are 22mm long, so with a bit of luck, I could make two bushings out of one Panerai tube.

The tubes are slightly bigger, but due to the length, you could fit a tube in a Dremel, or I have a Poxxon with a 3/32 head, and sand them down a bit. Looking at the screw size, the wall thickness of the tube should allow you to do that.

The screws in my bracelet measure 1.7mm OD and if they don't fit, I will make them. Perhaps the Panerai screw has the same thread as the Rolex and it becomes just a matter of shortening them and cut a new slot.......... maybe I'm pushing my luck here :huh:

Anyhow, I ordered a set and I'm pretty confident that I get them to fit!

The Seiko Fat spring-bars could be an option, but the wall-thickness may be very thin. (actually I prefer Citizen bars :D , just kidding !)

I was also exploring 14 AWG cable ends, of which I have plenty. They are 2.5mm OD and the Rolex screw fits through them.

post-1663-0-69723600-1455168721.png

However, the wall thickness is very thin and the material is unknown, maybe copper, so this would only be a temporary solution.

The SS Panerai tubes seem to be, with some additional input, a solid and permanent solution.

I'll let you know how I got on......

Thanks again and everybody who contributed!!

Roland.

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 3

Hello Oldhippy; not sure whether we are on the same page?

I found a picture which may explain........one picture says more than a 1000 words ;-)

post-1663-0-03185200-1455179531.png

As you can see, there is a little round tube / sleeve / bushing sticking out at the bottom of the gold "link". You can pull it fully out and my ones are totally worn.

Before assembly, you insert the tube / sleeve / bushing and the screw from the next "link" goes through the tube / sleeve / bushing.

You could leave the tube / sleeve / bushing out, but then the screw will wear out the soft gold part.

I hope we are, or we were on the same page?

Regards: Roland.

• 2 weeks later...

As a follow up on the Panerai tubes, suggested by Rogart63. I received yesterday 5x sets (pin and tube) out of Austria, for $10 including world-wide shipping.

Fitted a tube in my Proxxon (Dremel alike) and grinded it slightly down using a diamond sharpening stone:

post-1663-0-27904900-1456389301.png

I found, due to the weight and thinness of the stone, that I had a reasonable control over pressing it flat against the tube to keep the cylindrical form.

Even though the tube ended up slightly eccentrically (but still plenty of wall thickness left!), I managed to get 2x tubes (bushings) out of 1x Panerai tube.

Even better with these Panerai tubes & screws, the original Rolex screws fit inside the Panerai tubes perfectly and.......the Panerai screws, even though too long, do fit the Rolex!

If you need new screws, the Panerai's needs shortening and you have to cut a new slot in the top.

To me, these Panerai tubes & screws are, with a little effort, a perfect match !! Plenty of spare screws and tubes for $10.- !

That was a 100% hit Rogart63..........thanks again !  :thumbsu:

Roland.

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 3