Hello From New Member In West Yorkshire

MathsBloke

Hi Dave

I plan to buy my tools from CousinsUK using the TZ recommendations.

The nearest visor to the one that you mentioned has a magnification of 3.5 is that the one that you have?

I think that a visor would be quite handy as my other hobby is RC Helicopters which also has many small parts to deal with during assembly.

I'm guessing that I will still need the x10 Loupe as well.

Regards

Bob

MathsBloke, I purchased two Optivisers from HS Walsh. They are a little cheaper than Cousins but not much. They have a local branch in Birmingham which is only 9 miles away so I can nip over and save postage. Enough rambling now.

I find Optimisers to be easy to work with and comfortable for extended use. Buy the genuine article with glass lenses and they should last you a long time and spare parts are available.

One of the important factors with these visors is that the focusing length of each strength of lens is different.

The one referred to as No.10 is a x 3.5 which focuses at 4" while the No4 x 2 focuses at 10" so you have to be sure that the one you buy is comfortable for the distance you are working at.

Don't just go on high magnification.

You can change the lenses to suit what you are doing but whereas they used to be held in with push out plastic clips they are now fixed in with nuts and bolts which are quite fiddly to use so I ended up buying another headband to make two complete units.

There is an Optiloop which fits over the the lens and will swing up and down as required which increases the magnification of the lens you are using.

I've found that a normal x10 loupe is used mainly for close examination and checking but not really for working with but you have to try the different methods and see what suits you.

Buy cheap loops of different strengths, they are available in sets on Ebay, try them out and see what suits you then buy the best quality later. Don't pay lots of money until you are sure of what you will use.

I hope my guidance is of some help to you.

All the best, Mike

• 2 weeks later...