Ultrasonic Jewel Cleaning But Not As You Know It!

Geo

Sometimes with old movements after you go through the normal cleaning cycles including pegging the jewels, you still find old oil that has turned to hard varnish left in the oil sinks. This has happened to me on a few occasions and I started thinking there has to be an easier way than soaking in acetone and going through the pegging process again. A couple of weeks ago I was at the dentist and found the answer in my mouth............the ultrasonic probe.

When returned home, I fired up my iPad and started searching eBay for a second hand dental unit and got lucky. I managed to get the unit for my initial bid of £40 complete with five new sterile probes. It was only after buying it I realised it had to be plumbed into a water supply, and I didn't think my good lady would fancy a hose connection in the kitchen, and I certainly didn't fancy cleaning watch movements in the garden. The problem was solved by purchasing a 5ltr garden sprayer for £8.

Now that I had all the kit it was time to try it out, so an old movement plate was found with the necessary hard residue in the jewel. The result to say the least was staging, a gentle clean lasting about 10-20 seconds per side and the jewels were spotless. I just love lateral thinking!

Below are some pictures to let you see the setup and the results. I only cleaned two of the jewels in the plate.

post-124-0-10247500-1454866418_thumb.jpe

The complete setup.

post-124-0-40597000-1454866492_thumb.jpe

The control box.

post-124-0-86744200-1454866578_thumb.jpe

Water must be flowing when in use, and don't touch the brass with the probe.

post-124-0-38717800-1454866731_thumb.jpe

Two jewels cleaned.

post-124-0-32736300-1454866814.jpeg

Spotless!

• Like 9

Sometimes with old movements after you go through the normal cleaning cycles including pegging the jewels, you still find old oil that has turned to hard varnish left in the oil sinks. This has happened to me on a few occasions and I started thinking there has to be an easier way than soaking in acetone and going through the pegging process again. A couple of weeks ago I was at the dentist and found the answer in my mouth............the ultrasonic probe.

When returned home, I fired up my iPad and started searching eBay for a second hand dental unit and got lucky. I managed to get the unit for my initial bid of £40 complete with five new sterile probes. It was only after buying it I realised it had to be plumbed into a water supply, and I didn't think my good lady would fancy a hose connection in the kitchen, and I certainly didn't fancy cleaning watch movements in the garden. The problem was solved by purchasing a 5ltr garden sprayer for £8.

Now that I had all the kit it was time to try it out, so an old movement plate was found with the necessary hard residue in the jewel. The result to say the least was staging, a gentle clean lasting about 10-20 seconds per side and the jewels were spotless. I just love lateral thinking!

Below are some pictures to let you see the setup and the results. I only cleaned two of the jewels in the plate.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

The complete setup.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

The control box.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Water must be flowing when in use, and don't touch the brass with the probe.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Two jewels cleaned.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Spotless!

Geo you are a canny lad. Interesting & initiative well done. The only issue I thought of is could you dislodge a jewel if over zealous. 

• Like 1

The only issue I thought of is could you dislodge a jewel if over zealous.

I really don't think it will move a jewel as there is no direct pressure exerted from the probe. The probe is kept in a bead of water just above the jewel with the vibrations passing through the water and it is only for a few seconds. If the jewel did move, I would say it was not tight enough in the first place.

What I have thought about, is using it to help remove rusted in screws. I would first soak the plate and screw in penetrating oil overnight then at the same time as using the screwdriver, apply the probe directly to the screw. Who knows, it might help.

• Like 1

I really don't think it will move a jewel as there is no direct pressure exerted from the probe. The probe is kept in a bead of water just above the jewel with the vibrations passing through the water and it is only for a few seconds. If the jewel did move, I would say it was not tight enough in the first place.

What I have thought about, is using it to help remove rusted in screws. I would first soak the plate and screw in penetrating oil overnight then at the same time as using the screwdriver, apply the probe directly to the screw. Who knows, it might help.

I can see that working if it dislodges the rust/debris.

Hello George,

Wondered if you are taking on guvvy jobs.  Went to the dentist on Monday and have paid £225.00 to get a molar crowned in a couple of days but I think it would be £17.50 for a clean and polish - surely you could manage that - God knows my mouth is big enough ! :D

Cheers,

Vic

• Like 1

Do your teeth hurt when you use it?

The mere sound of dental equipment make my teeth ache. :startle:

Great idea by the way, I would think there are more dental equipment that can be used.  Next time I'm in the pain chair (sorry dentist chair) I will do some research.

Maz

• Like 1

I was thinking, how much would it be to source the dentist's drill thingy, it would probably be useful to scare away broken screws on plates and bridges on certain movements...better than a regular drill, I suppose, since it seems to me they are harder to break...would it be thin and controllable enough?

This is a very good idea! I'm not crazy about the smell of Naphtha or the other cleaning fluids.

Would a water pic work as well? They are cheaper and more readily available.

Sorry if someone already asked this.

What is the best way to dry jewel caps and other small or fragile parts? I've simply put cap jewels on lint-free watch paper until the stain stops spreading. I suppose a hair dryer could work for plates and bridges. 

Also, what is a good rinse? Distilled water? 

Dave

Hi Dave,

I think water should do fine for non ferrous materials but then I'm not a chemist and whatever I learn about chemistry I've been trying hard to forget through the years! :) In any case, I would believe that you will need something to displace the water from the watch parts and that may probably be some ammoniated solution that evaporates quick, leaving no residue and not harming the shellac holding some parts. Therefore, I prefer to take the question mark out of the equation and use the appropriate cleaners for peace of mind. So even if you use ferrous materials and others, prone to corrosion, with the water pick, I'd still rinse them in some sort of "approved" solution and dry them well afterwards. IMHO.

One thing I've always asked and nobody has answered is: how do you use anything but the hand pump to "blow dry" the parts of a watch without blowing them into the other dimension? What is the technique? As for the jewels, I do the same as you do after a good lighter fluid bath.

Cheers,

Bob

One thing I've always asked and nobody has answered is: how do you use anything but the hand pump to "blow dry" the parts of a watch without blowing them into the other dimension? What is the technique? As for the jewels, I do the same as you do after a good lighter fluid bath.

Cheers,

Bob

I leave them in the wire mesh baskets that I use in the ultrasonic. Same idea as with the cleaning machines.

Onwards!

DavidS

• Like 1

Cheers,

Bob

For a dedicated drier if your cleaning machine doesn't include provision for drying have a look here.

http://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/2078-drying/?hl=drier#entry21028

George

How is your 'sonic cleaner' doing? I found your idea very interesting, I might have to give it a try myself :)! What was it you bought, an ultrasonic probe? I was also wondering if you had tried it on any other jobs like the rusty screws you mentioned - one thought I had was trying to dislodge the rubbish that stakes sometimes end up jammed with. I wonder if it would do any good for that?

Stephen