Goliath 2 - Bigger, Badder & Broke

Blacklab

Have been fiddling around with this for a while:

post-80-0-64065100-1454863550_thumb.jpg

90mm diameter nickel plated case. Note the hole to the top of the hour hand from a screw used to substitute a broken dial foot. Inside is a 59mm (26'''?) Landeron 8 day movement:

post-80-0-78615100-1454863750.jpg

The movement was patented by Amedee Douard in 1893 (see here:http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/originalDocument?CC=CH&NR=7032&KC=&FT=E). It winds & runs well, but the pivot on the 2nd wheel attached to the cannon pinion (does the same job not sure if it's the correct term for this) has sheared so no power to the hands:

post-80-0-50082800-1454864525.jpg

and here's the culprit out of the watch, the sheared pivot is the 2nd item from the left:

post-80-0-28263200-1454864728_thumb.jpg

Have searched high & low for a replacement to no avail, and I would suspect that making a new part would be cost prohibitive. Any suggestions?

• Like 1

do you have any idea why the arbor break ?

did  the mainspring break ?

Mainspring AOK, the pivot has a burr to one side & I would suspect this caused it to seize at some point, also it has has some rough repairs and handling in the past.

As Geo & Oldhippy suggest it needs re-pivoting. The old one will most likely push out with standard staking tools or drill out the broken end which but ever fix is decided a new pivot will have to be made. Sorry just no easy fix without a lathe or a remplacement part

Thanks for the input all. It will just have to wait for a part or the eventual lathe. Have seen some on fleabay obviously owned by this bloke:

post-80-0-64848600-1454971719.jpg

Failing that, Cousins do a nice cheap Bergeon one, a snip at only £22,995.00 (ex VAT & del). 

Ok I have been looking at this for a a while but my budget does not stretch this far but believe me this is an absolute steal on the Bay

Item No.

If on a budget on the Bay, collets will also need to be purchased.

Item No.

Thanks for the heads up CB, but as funds are well bellow the 2 ha'penny threshold this ones gonna be on the back burner for a while. While browsing the 2 fleabay items mentioned I noticed this one: 301866507393, thieving (insert expletive) - check out the postage!

Thanks for the heads up CB, but as funds are well bellow the 2 ha'penny threshold this ones gonna be on the back burner for a while. While browsing the 2 fleabay items mentioned I noticed this one: 301866507393, thieving (insert expletive) - check out the postage!

WHAT !!! while talking about post be aware if you purchase anything of bulk from the USA the import duty to the UK is very high.

WHAT !!! while talking about post be aware if you purchase anything of bulk from the USA the import duty to the UK is very high.

Depends what it is, how much etc. Useful calculator here:http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/ limited number of goes -unless you subscribe. Why doesn't the beloved HMRC do one of these?