Help With The Winding/setting Mechanism Of A Hamilton 986A

Bill3

I have taken apart a Hamilton 986a, cleaned the parts, oiled, and reassembled the watch. Reassembled, that is everything except the winding/setting mechanism. The clutch lever fits in the grove in the clutch. I can wind the mainspring and even though the hands are not on, the cannon pinions seem to be moving. However, if the slightest pressure is exerted on the winding stem, it slips out. I cannot find a way to make the winding stem stay in.

Any and all help and advice will be appreciated. I have attached pictures.

post-844-0-05853900-1454724259_thumb.jpepost-844-0-92982400-1454724283_thumb.jpepost-844-0-01851600-1454724310_thumb.jpe

It's hard to see from the pictures. What should happen is for the peg on the setting lever to be engaged in the groove in the stem, and then you tighten the setting lever screw.

Sometimes when the movement is out of the case, the stem can be pushed in too far and when you tighten the setting lever screw, the peg is still on the major diameter of the stem and so doesn't tighten properly. It's also possible the the peg on the setting lever is worn or broken. Can you remove the setting lever and show a picture of the other side?

S

• Like 1

^^ what Stuart said plus...

1. Could be the nub on the setting lever is worn. The setting lever will need to be replaced.

2. Could be the groove on the step has worn allowing the nub on the setting lever to slide out of the groove easily. The stem will need replacing.

3. Could be the hole in the movement plate is worn and the stem has too much side shake. Much harder to resolve. Possibly find a scrap movement or turn a new custom stem with a larger diameter to fit the hole snugly.

Often times it can be a combination of 1 & 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Stuartbaker and Mark, thank you for your input. I think you are right. The groove on the stem looks good with edges that are not worn. I am going to remove the setting lever and check the "nub". The setting lever is very difficult to install, but that is what must be done. I have a donor watch, so if necessary I will take the setting lever from that watch.

I am so close, yet so far from turning this into a working watch. When I get the stem in and wind the watch, THE WATCH RUNS. That is exciting for me because this is the first watch that I have torn down all the way and put back together. Somehow I am going to have to get around this winding problem.

• Like 1

Stuartbaker and Mark, thank you for your input. I think you are right. The groove on the stem looks good with edges that are not worn. I am going to remove the setting lever and check the "nub". The setting lever is very difficult to install, but that is what must be done. I have a donor watch, so if necessary I will take the setting lever from that watch.

I am so close, yet so far from turning this into a working watch. When I get the stem in and wind the watch, THE WATCH RUNS. That is exciting for me because this is the first watch that I have torn down all the way and put back together. Somehow I am going to have to get around this winding problem.

Good luck Bill :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk