It's amazing how quickly one can pick it up! However, I read up a lot before getting started plus I made sure to purchase the correct tools. (Except for the cheap 20 dollar set of screwdrivers in the very beginning, lol) Happy watchmaking!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a total newbie to servicing my pocket watch collection. I'm about to first clean and oil a practice movement, then eventually do my vintage railroad grade watches. I don't have a machine...yet, so I'll be doing things by hand. I'm hoping to draw on all of your experience. How long do I soak the parts in the Zenith cleaning solution? Then, how long in the Zenith rinse? Are there any parts that should NOT go into the cleaning solution at all? Then, what parts should NOT be oiled?

Obviously the dial must not be soak in cleaning solution but you can clean enamel dial in distilled water with some drops of dishwashing liquid.

I suggest you read some books like "Practical Watch Repairing" (Donald de Carle), the "Chicago School of Watchmaking" or the "Bulova School of Watchmaking"

• Like 1

Thanks for all the guidance.  I will look into those books.  Also, at the suggestion of many, I went ahead and bought an ultrasonic cleaning machine, so at least now I won't be doing this by hand.

Smart man, I did the same myself after attempting to service my first movement:)  

• Like 1

I set my ultrasonic cleaner timer anywhere from 3-10 minutes, depending on the dirtiness of the movement.  As for a rinse, I just rinse in warm water before blow drying all the parts.  I know there is a "rinse" solution out there but my "filtered" tap water works just fine;)

• Like 1

I am new at watch repair and am interested in refurbishing watches, including repair and cleaning. I would like to know what solutions folks use for hand cleaning and in what order. As well, what technique does one use when cleaning individual components. The tips and tricks would be good from the experienced folks. I do this for friends at the moment and they live my work so far. I have completely disassembled cleaned and oils 2 Seiko 7548 movements (divers from the early 80ies) with success so far. But the best cleaning technique can only by attained from experienced watch repair experts. Thanks

49cf18b245d414ed51b4faea3d4f79d3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My watchmaker friend told me that naphtha and pegwood was the only way he was taught to clean a watch when he apprenticed in England. Then he discovered cleaning machines!

Anyway, Mark discusses many different things in his videos; they are very good because he always tells you the types of cleaning fluids and lubrications he is using and he mentions tricks of the trade that are invaluable. I learn a lot watching them; every time I watch them I learn something I missed before.

Hi Richard, welcome to the forum.

If you've done a Seiko 7548 then you're OK!

Cleaning parts by hand can be done with Zippo fluid (or Ronson...depends on what's available!) and pegwood. Tedious but doable.

Anil

This is the way to go about it. It can be very tedious, you can't get the results you would expect if you used a cleaning machine.  

• Like 1

This is the way to go about it. It can be very tedious, you can't get the results you would expect if you used a cleaning machine.

Thanks. I bought a can of lighter fluid and a bunch of art brushes and went at the 7548. I did clean the body of the watch in my ultrasonic cleaner, but, because I am new to this I bought an organizer trey and washed the parts by hand one compartment at a time.d43c4c422fc8c45fde1f8b892438f814.jpg

I also take photos of the complete disassembly and reverse the photos for assembly. I am curious if you need to rinse the components in 100% alcohol after using the lighter fluid or naphtha.?

From Canada

Lighter fluid evaporates very quick. You could use a watchmakers blower which will help and use wrapping paper tissue this helps to absorb the fluid, but be careful there are types of tissue that are hopeless. As someone had said you need ventilation or you might end up felling unwell. I had xpelair ventilation. That's good using a try like that.

• Like 1

Lighter fluid evaporates very quick. You could use a watchmakers blower which will help and use wrapping paper tissue this helps to absorb the fluid, but be careful there are types of tissue that are hopeless. As someone had said you need ventilation or you might end up felling unwell. I had xpelair ventilation. That's good using a try like that.

I will look for that type of ventilation unit. Perhaps there is a desktop version .

From Canada