Thanks Mark, Thinking about it during the night (as one does) one of the clocks I repaired the customer had tried to "get it going" himself & wondering if he used WD40. I am using Elma as it states that it is "Watch & Clock" cleaner.

However in future I think I will give the clock bits their first wash in my ultrasonic cleaner then put them through the L&R.

I am a new boy to this auto cleaning but have found the Elma good  BUT  it was smelly so (after complaints from she who must be obeyed) moved the cleaning ops to the garage and I cover the L&R up with an old sleeping bag as its getting bit nippy this time of year.

Finally I was not aware that the first jar was distilled water I have been using both rinse jars with Elma rinse.

Edited by clockboy

Finally I was not aware that the first jar was distilled water I have been using both rinse jars with Elma rinse.

I personally recommend using proper rinse in jar two and three - especially for the L&R machine.

The distilled water is what is recommended in the Elma for the SuperElite.

See attached

3161_C0383 - BA_Super_Elite_GB.pdf

Mark,

I am using the correct rinse. Attached the PDF instructions which I have followed

attachicon.gifElma wf pro.pdf

Thats fine - when I said "proper rinse", I meant as opposed to distilled water. I meant to clarify for anybody potentially reading this that the distilled water method was as recommended in the Elma Super Elite manual, for that machine only (Maybe others but I don't know).

I am not an expert on cleaning machine electronics (I leave that to people like Mr Baxter) but I would imagine water and the L&R machine would not mix very well :)

Me either Mark, and the L&R solutions above were based on your recommendation in your great Youtube video :)

I have been using L&R products since I started out, the last couple of years I have been using the excellent cleaner from Quadralene but still using the L&R rinse.

I have never used the Elma cleaner and so I thought, what the heck! 

I could end up regretting it but I genuinely want to see how it compares to the Quadralene and L&R fluids. A scientific experiment :D

I have used it in the past in my Elma Super Elite. No problems at all, but not as good as Quadralene which really seems to shine up brass parts.

Aparently there is another fluid for non ultrasonic machines from l&r its the #109

I guess it gives better results with it

br

emso

p.s: sent from my s****y phone so sorry for typing mistakes

• 1 month later...

As I'm getting more into mechanical watch servicing I'm now looking at possibly purchasing a cleaning machine. As they are so very expensive I just wondered what your cleaning methods are? What equipment do you use, what solutions? What's worked best for you?

Any advice is appreciated.

I use a refurbished L&R but used to use a pro ultrasonic cleaner. For me personally the cleaning part I found a chore and slow so thats why I went the L&R route but it not cheap. But I have no regrets cleaning of the parts is now a breeze & in my opinion the L&R does a more thorough job. The cleaner I use at present is Elma but will be giving L&R fine a try.

Hi Paul

I started off with manual cleaning with Lighter Fluid (containing Naptha) and progressed on to the following which is still quite obtainable 

I used Elma 1:9 to clean all my parts in a jar within a simple ultrasonics unit and then let the parts air dry, that worked every time.

If the watch is really grimey you will have to get some pegwood and sharpen it to sharp point in which you could "clean" out the jewels - I started with toothpicks..

Sometimes i revert back to manual cleaning before is goes in the cleaner any way as nothing beats a old toothbrush!

A lot of people worried that they couldn't do a good job unless they had all the tools  - tools just aid the repairer, a while back they didn't have clever machines and made do with what they had.

Not very factual i know, however there are many ways, just play around and see what results you get and keep your parts covered once clean, its the most annoying thing ever to see dust, debris when putting it all back together!

Marks got a link here of his machine (which is what i have also)

• Like 1

I use an old Elma cleaning machine that I picked up on eBay for the princely sum of 99p (+£15 shipping) spares or repair. It's the forerunner of the Elite but is identical in every respect except colour. All I had to do was renew the heater and motor switches, cost about £5 from Maplins. As back up I also have an old Brenray machine, also from eBay for peanuts. The Brenray is not quite as nice to use as the Elma but still a very good machine.

Cleaning fluid I use L&R Ultra Fine and No.3 rinse (1st & 2nd rinse). This works fine for me.

I use an old Elma cleaning machine that I picked up on eBay for the princely sum of 99p (+£15 shipping) spares or repair. It's the forerunner of the Elite but is identical in every respect except colour. All I had to do was renew the heater and motor switches, cost about £5 from Maplins. As back up I also have an old Brenray machine, also from eBay for peanuts. The Brenray is not quite as nice to use as the Elma but still a very good machine.

Cleaning fluid I use L&R Ultra Fine and No.3 rinse (1st & 2nd rinse). This works fine for me.

Exactly the L&R config i had, for me the bottles have lasted forever!