Seiko 6R15 Service Walk-Through

jdm

1 hour ago, FALLINGTITAN said:

and the barrel is sealed and lubricated for life

This always amuses me as a wonderfully ambiguous statement. Lubricated for life? which is how long....?????

One wonders if Seiko would provide a free replacement spring and barrel if it were found to be faulty after the warranty period has expired on the grounds that a reasonable lifetime for the watch (and therefore any component contained therein) is significantly more than the normal 1 year warranty period that is usually offered, especially since in practise their watched have been shown to last 50+ years.

Back in the 70's and 80's when parts for Seiko movements were plentiful, Seiko recommend you changed the barrel complete I think every 5 or 7 years. These days you have to take the barrel apart and clean it all and put back as parts are more likely to be obsolete.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

Back in the 70's and 80's when parts for Seiko movements were plentiful, Seiko recommend you changed the barrel complete I think every 5 or 7 years. These days you have to take the barrel apart and clean it all and put back as parts are more likely to be obsolete.   

That's not the case of the 6R15 mov.t discussed here. Cousins has the barrel complete in stock, as well for the extremely popular 7S26.

2 hours ago, Marc said:

This always amuses me as a wonderfully ambiguous statement. Lubricated for life? which is how long....?????

One wonders if Seiko would provide a free replacement spring and barrel if it were found to be faulty after the warranty period has expired on the grounds that a reasonable lifetime for the watch (and therefore any component contained therein) is significantly more than the normal 1 year warranty period that is usually offered, especially since in practise their watched have been shown to last 50+ years.

No need to question Seiko here, the stament that made you raise objection after almost 4 years that I wrote it is mine only, if you allow me.

1 minute ago, CaptCalvin said:

His point is that the same would have to be done down the line for the 6r15 as well

Could be, fact is I still have to see a Seiko watch that benefitted from the "sealed" barrel being manipulated, M/S hand refitted, etc.

In any case having parts available today for a currently produced mov.t is still better than the Swiss that won't sell parts period.

1 hour ago, jdm said:

That's not the case of the 6R15 mov.t discussed here. Cousins has the barrel complete in stock, as well for the extremely popular 7S26.

I guess not, but I'll ask just in case someone happens to know. The barrel complete for the cal. 7S26 has part number 201.083 whereas the barrel complete for cal. 7S36 has part number 201.083. Aren't these two calibres extremely similar, just that the escape wheel and third wheel pivots uses cap jewels on cal. 7S36? I.e. shouldn't the barrel and the spring be the same? Anyway, that's what I'm hoping as I would pay dearly for a barrel complete for my 7S36B movement.

Also, the 7S26C is listed as having the same barrel as the 7S26, but the barrel complete is not on offer for the 7S26A and the 7S26B movements. Surly, it must be the same barrel, no!? Yes, I could look up this myself, and it could be that Cousins simply missed this, but as I said, if someone already happens to know this by heart. Thanks!

3 hours ago, jdm said:

No need to question Seiko here, the stament that made you raise objection after almost 4 years that I wrote it is mine only, if you allow me.

My error @JDM, I had assumed that it was a Seiko claim.

7 hours ago, VWatchie said:

The barrel complete for the cal. 7S26 has part number 201.083 whereas the barrel complete for cal. 7S36 has part number 201.083.

Which as you wrote them are the same part numbers. Now, I had answered this before, but can do that again it here. 

Tecnically speaking there is no designation such 7S26 and no letter. Since its introduction, Seiko has placed a letter at the end, that is A, B, or C in chronological order of introduction. When someone refers to 7S26 and no letter, in a technical context that can introduce ambiguity.

To help on the matter I have summarized all these changes is a document, here's it again:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sYt_mI9c4tAPiKN3IM8lQx3NEEOyz2DMjVHx5I1_Mqw/htmlview

Anyway, that's what I'm hoping as I would pay dearly for a barrel complete for my 7S36B movement.

Just go on Ebay or the Internet and search for the P/N detailed in the document above. You may need to add or omit both the leading zero and the separating dot in order to get all matches.

Note, you can be asked ridiculous prices for either new or used individual parts. The best approach is to get a complete mov't or watch for cheap, and use it as a source of parts. 

Also, the 7S26C is listed as having the same barrel as the 7S26, but the barrel complete is not on offer for the 7S26A and the 7S26B movements. Surly, it must be the same barrel, no!?

No it is not, and the notes in my document explain why. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jdm said:
23 hours ago, VWatchie said:

The barrel complete for the cal. 7S26 has part number 201.083 whereas the barrel complete for cal. 7S36 has part number 201.083.

Which as you wrote them are the same part numbers.

Oh, my apologies, I was tired and made a mistake! The barrel complete for cal. 7S36 has part number 201.024 (According to CousinsUK).

Thanks for your input and for sharing the information! :thumbsu:

10 hours ago, VWatchie said:

The barrel complete for cal. 7S36 has part number 201.024 (According to CousinsUK).

More accurately: for 7S26A and B, and 7S36B, it's either 201.024 or 201.075

That according to the Seiko service sheets from which I compiled the document linked above. 

With the hope that this will help you resolve the matter, and perhaps return to this topic to its intended subject. 

• Like 1