Advice Please...

Spandrel

The saga of my Sindaco jump hour watch continues. I have now completed the full strip, clean and re-assembly having spent many hours re-shaping the damaged hairspring. The watch now runs well face down and on any side. However it stops immediately when face up. The problem is that the pivot on the cock side of the balance staff appears to be slightly too short, or the jewel hole too deep which allows the shoulder of the staff to contact the face of jewel when orientated face up. The pivot show no sign of breakage so I can only assume wear in either it or the jewel hole. As the watch is of no great value with a poor quality movement, I don't want to spend a deal of cash on it so I would invite suggestions.

How feasable is it to replace the jewel? How do I set about getting a jewel of the correct dimensions?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Just a thought but since you said you reshaped the hairspring is it possible that the spring itself is making contact with the balance cock when face up? I have had this happen before and can be difficult to see depending on how much space there is between the balance cock and hairspring. Mark does have a video on how to measure, order and replace a jewel however at the moment I can't remember how it's listed. I recently had to replace two jewels on a watch I was rebuilding and I enjoyed the chance to try out my jeweling tool again.

Charles K

Thank you for the suggestions. My apologies for the belated response but I am only now back in circulation after the most gruesome chest infection I can remember. I will spare you the gory details.

I have decided to leave the Sindaco for a while. I may come back to it at a later date, but I reckon I have spent sufficient time on it now and it has taught me much. I have a fair few battery chages for friends pending and an interesting if relatively simple click transplant from a donor movement to another friend's ancient Sekonda. I also have a clock service/restoration on hand (much more my usual fare). Please bear with me if I need to ask further daft questions.