Just Joined

imexian

Hi, I've just signed up for this site, got into it from Marks "youtube" videos. I found them very relaxing, and began watching all of them. After a while I realised I wanted more than a Tag Heuer F1, soulless battery watch. Good though it was. Watching how these mechanical timepieces are made I wanted one. I've now purchased an Oris TT1 automatic watch.

It's great, bought from an enthusiast in Glasgow. Fab condition, circa 2003. Wearing it every day, chap I got it off was very honest, he wore it for a couple of years, then put in drawers. It was last services approx 3 years ago, runs very well no real loss of time. Does it need any maintenance now or in future. I'm , as you can tell not a watch buff, but can appreciate these fantastic watches.

Regards,

Ian

Hi Ian,

Welcome to the Forum! Great watch BTW! I believe it's usually recommended to service a mechanical watch every 3-5 years. Think of it as preventative maintenance, pay a little now instead of a lot later.

Don

Welcome to the forum Ian, I joined last month and have found it to be very friendly and incredibly informative. I wholeheartedly agree with Don's comments regarding your watch and servicing intervals. If you require technical information, the boss "Mark" is almost certain to find an answer.

My wife and i run a small transport business, so sometime cannot get on site often, i tend to view  later on in evening, usually with a glass of vodka!

So will not be posting too often, just as time allows. We don't watch tv at all, so tend to watch/do thing on internet. Like i mentioned in my first post its a very stressful day we have and viewing the repair/maintenance clips on marks channel is a most relaxing thing to do.

Has he thought about doing a meditation video!! LOL. 

The wife and kids think I'm going a bit strange i think!

My main hobby is motorcycles, trials bikes specifically, and ride most weekends, but watch collecting takes up a lot less room!

the other half collects coach built prams like Silver Cross etc, so as you can see our house, sheds garage is pretty full.

Watches take up little room. Perhaps she could do stamp collecting!

Will be looking at site later this evening.

Regards,

Ian 

Welcome Ian. I used to muck about occasionally with motorbike scrambling friends - over 50 years ago - I seem to remember that Villiers engines were the things to have when Arthur Lampton was King!

I'm glad to say that watches take up less room than prams... but more room than guitars...

Cheers,

Will

over 50 years ago - I seem to remember that Villiers engines were the things to have when Arthur Lampton was King!b

That would be Arthur Lampkin...............we'll put that down to the 50 years!

PS. I've got a Villiers workshop manual lying around somewhere if you need one.

Welcome Ian to the forums,  watches are a fascinating hobby,  there is a lot of information on the forums.

With servicing your watch the big question is who,  Lots of people will take your money and not do a proper job on the watch,  have a word with Mark,  he is the best I know.

That would be Arthur Lampkin...............we'll put that down to the 50 years!

PS. I've got a Villiers workshop manual lying around somewhere if you need one.

'Course it was Lampkin! The brain's going...! Thanks for the Villiers offer, but my m/c tinkering days are long gone...

Edited by WillFly
  • Like 1